What do people keep peafowl for?

You can make things with their feathers like jewelry and sell the feathers, but many just give away the feathers, I do a bit of both. Peafowl have been the first ever bird I have owned, and they have been even more amazing than I thought they would be. They only make the loud calls during the breeding season (summer-spring). If you just have one peacock than the noise shouldn't be bad, but it is when you have 10 or more that it might get to be a bit noisy at times. They don't eat much, I don't have chickens or turkeys but lots say they eat less than them. It is very fun to just sit and watch the peacocks display or just watch them walk around and search for bugs. If you watch them long enough they will do something you have never seen them do before. One of my peahens picked up something shiny and jangled it and dropped it and I went over to see what it was and it was an old pair of keys! Sometimes It is cool just watching them preen carefully sliding their beach down each feather. It is funny to watch them take dust baths too. Also it is a bonus if you get one with a big personality, like my two year old peacock Alto. He likes to sneak up behind me and when I turn around he is their starring at me. He walked up to me one time and pulled at my hair and likes to stare at my feet. It is also great to train them to eat out of your hand. You get to see all those pretty colors up close and when you offer a displaying male some food out of your hand and he walks up and eats out of your hand while still fanning his train it is soo amazing to be that close in front of a wall of glittering eye feathers. I like the noise they make too, sometimes you can get them to make it which is fun to have people over and show them the peacocks, then make the call and have the peacock respond. I have just always wanted peafowl since seeing them at the zoo. They just caught my eye but they are far more than just eye candy that is for sure. They are great birds to just watch and learn all their individual personalities. They have their own ranking in their group and it is interesting to see the difference between the lower ranking birds and the dominant ones. They are just more interesting than most realize...Also they make a variety of different noises that when I first heard I was amazed about....Purring noises, honking noises, all sorts!
Also you can get peafowl in 225 different varieties.
wink.png

Come on.....If we were into the chickens for the money, meat & eggs, most of us would starve. Lets see

Chicks - $3 to $10 each with a average mortality rate of 10%

Feed - Let's not go there

Coop - not too bad but the cost of fencing, ouch!

You can buy a lot of chicken strips and Egg McMuffins with that but they don't entertain like a pain in the butt flock of squacking birds

Quote:
If only I can get through to DH by next spring...hmm...you KNOW he'll do something to make me mad...and then want to make me UNmad
wink.png
I mentioned it briefly tonight kind of joking...I got a look and a .."Nooo." Will have to keep working on him....

U know I was so afraid of the noise they would make..sooo. Sooo
Let me repeat noise, that the day before I got them I almost changed my mind..people kept saying their going to make u want to leave your own home or I would hear people say be prepared to have a car alarm going off early in the am every day of your life etc

I got them and a few days later I heard a sound come out that sounded exactly like kids with their old fashion horns on their bicycles
Honl..honk.. And they do this only once or twice a day for a few minutes..then I heard a couple of days later, a sound that to me is absolutely breathtaking and to me it's breathtaking because every time I hear it and its usually right around dusk time as they jump up into their tree..breathtaking because when I hear it I think ..wow, that's my own amazing peacock that was a gift from God on this earth.. And that is gods artwork. I think it sounds at least mine sound like their calling out the word hello..with the the double l pronounced silent if that makes any sense.

I hear a strange sound from the males when they want some loving and aren't getting it..like a big huge ticked off grunt but that too is only a couple times of day..so I sit and think are my peas really any louder then that roo up the street..nope, are they any louder then the barking dogs in my area..nope, are they any louder then the neighbor that I hear yelling her lungs out at and for her kids several times a day..nope, are they any louder then the man that has to rev his motorcycle every morning and evening..nope
Is it any louder then the clang..clang..clang..receptive clang I hear all day long coming from my neighbors flagpole as the windy days clang something on his flagpole..nope etc
Lol

Get my point..it's just different..that's really what it is..it's a different sound.. A few times a day..not all day long like that neighbors dog
Up the street..constant dag on barking all night ..thank geisha I am not closer to them..that barking would drive me nuts..

Xoxox

Quote:
I Like your way of thinking
big_smile.png
Now if the neighbors haven't complained about the crowing...or quacking...or clucking....
hide.gif
what's a few more sounds,right?

Quote:
The sounds are one of my favorite reasons for keeping them.
wink.png

Mine to
smile.png
Reminds me of being in a rainforest...and living in the desert that's a good thing. They only call a little in the afternoon and once in awhile at night so the noise isn't bad at all.

Okay...searched all around on CL in my area, and further.Most are selling males...full grown...the closest one to me? Selling a pair for 2,000.00! Something about what they will produce?? So...needless to say...um...No. Is there a way to get hatching eggs?

Back
Top Bottom