What do people keep peafowl for?

roll.png
roll.png
They scratch for bugs,snakes, and eat what I feed my chickens very hardy and curious. If my friends and I are setting out in the yard they come over to join in the conversation.When Petey hollers he's heard something that he thinks he needs to sound the alarm.When he sheds his feathers which will be soon he'll get quiet until he gets them back. Try em you'll probably like em.

Quote:
Yes,I have roosters...and no,i wouldn't be eating them...lol...I have chickens,ducks and turkeys for that purpose! Are they expensive to keep? I would love to try to talk DH into a pair.Where would I get just 2?

First cost might hurt a little Ethel has laid over 20 eggs that I sell for 10.00 apiece. She's setting on six herself right now. She and Pete are very intertaining and beautiful. Does everything have to be useful??

Well entertainment is useful to me
wink.png
Mine would be just for that purpose.I was just curious as to what they were useful for.

I use mine as pets, they are very fun to watch. Since I can't keep anymore though the chicks that hatch I will give away to friends or sell to buy them extra treats or stuff for their aviary.

One pair wouldn't make much noise, it's when you have multiple males that it starts to get loud. From what I can tell most neighbors will love having them next door enough to put up with the noise they might make.

Quote:
Well he could have sold them for $100 and up a piece so it kind makes no sense to eat them.

Yeah,I'd take the hundred bucks a piece
smile.png

Quote:
Well he could have sold them for $100 and up a piece so it kind makes no sense to eat them.

Depends on location and how much of a market there are for peafowl in the area. I am sure as with most other animals there is not a market everywhere for them. If he couldn't sell them, they were sitting around eating his food, serving no purpose...it costs more to keep them alive and sitting there then to eat them
smile.png

Heard a story from a friend in a suburban neighborhood where one person kept Peacocks and the noise made the neighbors complain enough that he just gave up and let them go to roam as they would. Turns out, that was a good thing; the peafowl cleaned the entire neighborhood of bugs, ticks, snakes and any other pests.

Back
Top Bottom