What do they want?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Curlita, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My chickens spend a fair amount of time puttering around the backyard, sitting under shrubs, eating spilled bird seed, etc. But they spend quite a bit of time standing in a little mob on the back step, peering in through the screen door. I can't decide if they want me to come out and play, or if they want to present a list of demands.

Anyone else's chickens do this?

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    sounds like they have voted to form a union and they are ready to negotiate.

best.

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    yes mine hang out by the door, sometimes start scracthing the door or pecking it.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    They probably want to explore the "big coop" [​IMG]

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Mine do it all the time. I find it somewhat endearing, but I'd say their main goal in life is food. They are curious and will explore ANY place that might have food... and their eyesight is excellent so they're trying to see in your place if there are any unturned nooks and crannies with treats.

6. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Mine knock their beaks on our large picture windows. When I ask them what they want..they just stare back. Oh well. I guess we are their aquarium and they're just tapping on the windows to get us to move.

7. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I'd vote for list of demands. My chickens know where we live, and that's inside the door. They also know my granddaughter is a good source of food, AND she throws food off the deck to them. Therefore, they have become welfare chickens, just waiting for the food supply. Unfortunately for me, waiting comes with chicken poop all over my deck and front steps. Sorry, no love involved, just begging and opportunity for more goodies. Free range becomes free food...

8. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Mine hang at the back door, they know the dry cat food in right inside the door on the washer and dryer. Yes if the door is left open, I find chickens having a snack. My Turkey watches me through the kitchen window, she tried to jump in but found out about glass. lol.

9. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    As I read this between chuckles to my DH, I commented, this thread would make a good Reader's Digest entry! LOL, If it goes in I would immediatly buya Hangin With My Peeps shirt with the profit!

10. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    i think mine are trying to catch my dh in his undies!
    *Peep*-ing Toms (er, hens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by