What do they want?

Curlita

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Seattle, WA
My chickens spend a fair amount of time puttering around the backyard, sitting under shrubs, eating spilled bird seed, etc. But they spend quite a bit of time standing in a little mob on the back step, peering in through the screen door. I can't decide if they want me to come out and play, or if they want to present a list of demands.

Anyone else's chickens do this?

They probably want to explore the "big coop"
lol.png

Mine do it all the time. I find it somewhat endearing, but I'd say their main goal in life is food. They are curious and will explore ANY place that might have food... and their eyesight is excellent so they're trying to see in your place if there are any unturned nooks and crannies with treats.

Mine knock their beaks on our large picture windows. When I ask them what they want..they just stare back. Oh well. I guess we are their aquarium and they're just tapping on the windows to get us to move.

I'd vote for list of demands. My chickens know where we live, and that's inside the door. They also know my granddaughter is a good source of food, AND she throws food off the deck to them. Therefore, they have become welfare chickens, just waiting for the food supply. Unfortunately for me, waiting comes with chicken poop all over my deck and front steps. Sorry, no love involved, just begging and opportunity for more goodies. Free range becomes free food...

Mine hang at the back door, they know the dry cat food in right inside the door on the washer and dryer. Yes if the door is left open, I find chickens having a snack. My Turkey watches me through the kitchen window, she tried to jump in but found out about glass. lol.

As I read this between chuckles to my DH, I commented, this thread would make a good Reader's Digest entry! LOL, If it goes in I would immediatly buya Hangin With My Peeps shirt with the profit!

Back
Top Bottom