What do vegans do with chicken eggs?

We have 6 girls and only one is laying so far
roll.png
. Any extra eggs we eventually get will be given or sold to friends and neighbors.

I am a pescatarian, so I can relate to the avoiding animal products. If the concern with eggs is the treatment of chickens, that is very understandable. However, obtaining eggs from a back yard coop where you know the chickens are kept as pets and are well-taken care of, I think that should eliminate all concern. I do not eat meat products other than seafood, but I do eat my chicken's eggs because I know they are well-taken care of, not kept in battery cages, and that they will live out their lives as happy pets rather than being butchered. If the vegan considers it from that point of view, she might change her mind about eating the eggs.

Quote:
He's not a vegan if he eats any animal products, just a strict vegetarian.

I am allergic to eggs so my dogs get alot, the chickens get them and I give them to some of the old folks at work (when I have alot that haven't sold).

My chickens are companions, so maybe that is what your vegan friend wants too
smile.png

If you don't want to sell your eggs and the food bank can't take them, take them to your local Goodwill store and offer to the patrons there. I had an abundance of green beans one summer and wasn't able to can them, so I bagged them up and went to Goodwill. I just walked in and announced to a few folks standing around that I had fresh green beans. You should have seen their faces light up and I didn't take any home. I hate waste, too, and I think it's a shame that if you don't eat your eggs that you would just throw them away when there are people who are hungry for good, fresh food.

I realise this thread is old but I'm new to this site and searched vegan to see what peoples opinions are, I've been vegetarian for 19 yrs and vegan for 10 of those.
I guess it depends why you choose veganism and where your ethics lie, for me I'm vegan for the animals as I want nothing to do with animal cruelty . I recently rescued 3 chicks and have made a nice home for them, they will be safe and loved all their lives with me and I have no rooster so if and when they lay eggs I will eat them and still be vegan, I still would not eat anything shop bought ect containing eggs as the same rule applies. If I acquired a rooster again I would not eat the eggs my chickens laid as they have the potential to live but if they have no purpose and would otherwise be wasted it makes sense to use them. If my chickens never laid an egg they would still be loved as much.

I realise this thread is old but I'm new to this site and searched vegan to see what peoples opinions are, I've been vegetarian for 19 yrs and vegan for 10 of those.
I guess it depends why you choose veganism and where your ethics lie, for me I'm vegan for the animals as I want nothing to do with animal cruelty . I recently rescued 3 chicks and have made a nice home for them, they will be safe and loved all their lives with me and I have no rooster so if and when they lay eggs I will eat them and still be vegan, I still would not eat anything shop bought ect containing eggs as the same rule applies. If I acquired a rooster again I would not eat the eggs my chickens laid as they have the potential to live but if they have no purpose and would otherwise be wasted it makes sense to use them. If my chickens never laid an egg they would still be loved as much.
I think this is the consensus of most vegans/vegetarians who DO eat eggs & drink milk. If the cow/chicken is going to produce it anyway, no point in wasting it.

As chickens will lay eggs regardless of wether they have a chance to hatch or not the logic is good however cows only produce milk for their young same as humans and if not calf was not present due to natural causes the cows milk would dry up naturally therefore I would not consider consuming milk.

I meant the excess milk. Cows actually usually produce way more milk than their calf requires and in the case of a "pet" cow who is well taken care of I wouldn't see a problem with using the excess.

Back
Top Bottom