1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do vegans do with chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chiknlady, Sep 2, 2008.

1. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    I was at a party this weekend and inevitably the topic of chickens came up. The topic came up about eating the fruits of the flock. One of the guests was vegan and stated she wanted pet chickens but couldn't have them. So I ask a general question: "what do vegans do with all of the eggs their chickens lay"?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think they could blow out the eggs and make decorations? I know 5 AZ sisters does it.

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Well, I know one vegan, he has been vegan for over a decade, and he does eat the eggs from my hens. But other than that he avoids ALL animal products.

Since they are happy and free and laying the eggs anyway, he doesn't have any problem with eating the eggs.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Instead of blowing out the eggs and wasting them...what about getting involved with a food bank or a local family who is having trouble putting food on the table and make use of the eggs rather then wasting them....I dont like to waste...

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Quote:My thoughts exactly!! Our society wastes soooo much [​IMG]

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    because I do not have government certification my local foodbank could not take my eggs....however they were able to let a few people know that i am looking for "new friends"...lol makes me sound like a loner...and what "friends" do is no business of thiers...hint hint...so now I have a family waiting patiently for eggs..I have 10 hens. there is not way i will eat 5-7 dozen eggs a week..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    You guys are lucky to get eggs. We only get one out of our flock of 10.

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We have 6 girls and only one is laying so far [​IMG] . Any extra eggs we eventually get will be given or sold to friends and neighbors.

9. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I am a pescatarian, so I can relate to the avoiding animal products. If the concern with eggs is the treatment of chickens, that is very understandable. However, obtaining eggs from a back yard coop where you know the chickens are kept as pets and are well-taken care of, I think that should eliminate all concern. I do not eat meat products other than seafood, but I do eat my chicken's eggs because I know they are well-taken care of, not kept in battery cages, and that they will live out their lives as happy pets rather than being butchered. If the vegan considers it from that point of view, she might change her mind about eating the eggs.

10. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:He's not a vegan if he eats any animal products, just a strict vegetarian.

I am allergic to eggs so my dogs get alot, the chickens get them and I give them to some of the old folks at work (when I have alot that haven't sold).

My chickens are companions, so maybe that is what your vegan friend wants too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by