What do vegans do with chicken eggs?

chiknlady

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
SE PA
I was at a party this weekend and inevitably the topic of chickens came up. The topic came up about eating the fruits of the flock. One of the guests was vegan and stated she wanted pet chickens but couldn't have them. So I ask a general question: "what do vegans do with all of the eggs their chickens lay"?

Well, I know one vegan, he has been vegan for over a decade, and he does eat the eggs from my hens. But other than that he avoids ALL animal products.

Since they are happy and free and laying the eggs anyway, he doesn't have any problem with eating the eggs.

Instead of blowing out the eggs and wasting them...what about getting involved with a food bank or a local family who is having trouble putting food on the table and make use of the eggs rather then wasting them....I dont like to waste...

Quote:
My thoughts exactly!! Our society wastes soooo much
sad.png

because I do not have government certification my local foodbank could not take my eggs....however they were able to let a few people know that i am looking for "new friends"...lol makes me sound like a loner...and what "friends" do is no business of thiers...hint hint...so now I have a family waiting patiently for eggs..I have 10 hens. there is not way i will eat 5-7 dozen eggs a week..

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 6 girls and only one is laying so far
roll.png
. Any extra eggs we eventually get will be given or sold to friends and neighbors.

I am a pescatarian, so I can relate to the avoiding animal products. If the concern with eggs is the treatment of chickens, that is very understandable. However, obtaining eggs from a back yard coop where you know the chickens are kept as pets and are well-taken care of, I think that should eliminate all concern. I do not eat meat products other than seafood, but I do eat my chicken's eggs because I know they are well-taken care of, not kept in battery cages, and that they will live out their lives as happy pets rather than being butchered. If the vegan considers it from that point of view, she might change her mind about eating the eggs.

Quote:
He's not a vegan if he eats any animal products, just a strict vegetarian.

I am allergic to eggs so my dogs get alot, the chickens get them and I give them to some of the old folks at work (when I have alot that haven't sold).

My chickens are companions, so maybe that is what your vegan friend wants too
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom