What do vegans do with chicken eggs?

This is just a comment, and then I will shut up. Sometimes cows that are just fresh (recently calved) or about to calve, will have very swollen udders. This swelling goes away in a few days. Other than that, swollen udders can be caused by a number of things, none of them good. Cows that have these huge bags, and I am not talking about the just fresh ones here, may or not be good milkers. Usually they aren't. That swelling is not caused by milk producing tissue. The dairyman you mentioned should definitely be in another line of work. With his poor management and herdsmanship it's a wonder he can make enough money to stay in business. There is no excuse whatever for having animals in that condition. Personally, I like cows a lot. I like being around them and I like working with them. I find them calming. It hurts me to se them mistreated. I really miss my Jerseys and their wonderful milk. I have been thinking about getting another Jersey cow, but the prospect of going out in the winter cold to milk her is giving me pause. Maybe I could put a couple calves on her and let them do the milking.....

I love cows too, used to work at a very nice dairy farm. Just weekends and such during my high school years. Loved every minute of it. On my second day, 05:00am I was sitting outside, in the freezing cold, on my backside, watching a cow give birth. I'll never forget those few minutes. My boss later gave me the calve. Her name was Candice, after a friend of mine who was all arms and legs and eyes, like a newborn calf!

Elizabethaz................
It's good to hear that you care for your animals with love and appreciation, I would imagine some people would struggle with giving as much affection when they know how it will end, as you put it having favourites.
As for health I couldn't disagree more, I am a very healthy person as are my two children and we lack no vitamin in our diet there is protein in practicaly everything you eat and higher in lentils,beans,nuts and seeds but I find it the easiest to manage. As for b bits again so much choice b1 2 3 .. Avocado dates grapes mango orange pineapple watermelon asparagus sprouts squash corn peas potatoes brazil nuts oats brown rice bananas book Choy broccoli mushrooms soy beans! The list goes on b12 still readily available any fortified cereal plant milk has plenty. You talk of the dark ages and I ask, what are the animals you are raising eating? Cos you talk of a situation where vegans can't grow crops so you would need to grow crops as much as us surely in order to feed your animals in which case we would all be in trouble!
As for knowing of no vegan that lived beyond 90 , you need look no further than the founder of the vegan society and inventor of the word vegan ! Donald Watson lived a long happy vegan life and died age 95 . Having said that I worked as a carer in a nursing home for the elderly before having my children and saw many meat eating people die much younger and in terrible health. The eating of meat has also been linked to bad health, but if you ask me they tell us everything is bad for us at some point!
My point is there are healthy and unhealthy vegans and healthy and unhealthy meat eaters alike and 90 years old seems a good innings to me, most of my older relatives died younger than that and all ate meat fish eggs and dairy!

Healthy and Unhealthy vegans... All the people I know/knew ate all the stuff you listed regularly. It didn't stop their bodies from eventually breaking down. Not every person that is a vegan can possibly expect to live as long as the few people whose physiology seemed to work fine with a vegan diet. The Medical fact is, that sometimes diet isn't enough to combat organ failure on its own-- I hope you also realize that those meat eatters weren't dying the way they were as a result of their diets.

Talking about the "dark ages" my point is that the FEW varieties of vegitables/fruits.nuts that one can grow in certain geological areas would greatly inhibit the amount of nutrition you could recieve from only a few sources of food. You can't grow OLIVES in Alaska, zucchini has a short season in Ohio, etc.. if people had to grow/raise all their own food and only depended on vegitation they would be NUTRITIONALLY starved. UNLESS they lived in an area where they could grow a wide and varied diet (and had access to the plants/seeds needed to grow that diet). My point in that paragraph is that grocery stores PROVIDE the variation needed to sustain a healthy/balanced vegan diet. And not to mention, vegan safe MEDICATIONS.

As for what my animals are eatting now-- I grow my own field corn, millet, and bermuda grass :) . Pellets are just an occasional supplement to the rabbits diet--alfalfa has lots of calcium and too much causes kidney stones/failure in rabbits. It would be very easy for me to feed my chickens and rabbits without commercial products. Or if push came to shove.. I would just do what our ancestors have done--go hunting and kill something.

Last edited:
elixabethaz............... Yes i totally realise those people didnt die that way because of their diet, really that was my point,that people die young and old and experience good and bad health regardless of what they eat. i thought you were trying to say that all vegans will die younger and in poor health,maybe i missread your earlier post as you seem to be of the same way of thinking on the ubject as me. some people eat badly all their lives and manage to have long healthy lives others are obsessed with eating well and keeping fit and drop down daed in their thirties! thus you just have to do what makes you happy and comfortable while your here. and hope for the best! lots of people think that when a vegan becomes ill it must be cos of their diet and thats not true because as we know everyone gets ill! when my son had the same tummy bug that half his class had the doctor suggested changing his diet! i know children that eat take away food and fish fingers and chips every night but their parents wernt advised to change their eating habits, its just that they have a fear of what they dont understand and think vegan equals unhealthy.
I cant argue with your logic whaen you talk about surviving in rally bad conditions i think it may well be true that you would do better than i in a wild situation, i wouldnt want to kill an animal and know very little about crops or vegetation and would likely eat poisonous berrys or something in the first week! there may well be vegetarians and vegans that would be willing to kill a wild animal in this situation to suvive knowing that the animal is living a free life and may be quite happy to kill a human at the first opotunity. but also there are probly plant experts that would live of the land better too. lets just hope it never comes to that!! thou i will never see animals as a food group i have to have respect for the way you obtain your meat, as cruelty free as possible, in short you care, many dont.

Back
Top Bottom