What do vegans do with chicken eggs?

This is such an interesting thread! I get asked alot of questions--being a 'reformed Vegan'...so I thought I would lay in my perspective :)

My mom and stepdad loved gardening and were fortunate enough to own a house on a full acre with their own well. They did as much as they could to allow us kids to be raised as 'normally' as possible, but teach us also about the value of life. We had half of the property dedicated to a veggie garden and orchard, and we had a green house attatched to the side of the house for growing winter food.. we hardly ever went to the store for fruit or veggies.

My mom grew up eatting meat, drinking milk, and eatting eggs..and so did my stepdad, but he decided at some point in his life that he didn't want to kill animals for food or support their exploitation by commercial industry--and so he became a vegan... Mom still ate meat when they met and gave it up for him. My youngest siblings went right along with being good little vegans, but I had a secret addiction to meat. I would trade food for a lunch meat sandwich to get my fix. My mom found out and was very angry with me, and asked if I would be willing to kill for the meat I was eatting--I said to her horror "YES." I was grounded.

With regards to how animals are treated, I was taught that the needs of the animals are ABOVE your own. Animals raised in a domesticated environment don't have the 'skills' to survive in the wild on their own. And if my pet rat could escape and feed himself, or find a cleaner place to live--he would. We were also taught to never own an animal unless we knew EVERYTHING about its care requirements and ecological history ( research before you buy). Pets belonged to the parents. Us kids looked after the pets as if they were our siblings. If we wanted a pet we were welcome to "share" with my parents. An animal wasn't ours unless we were buying ALL of its food and could afford the vet bill. All life was respected, in the sense that every animal has its purpose and should never be taken, or taken for granted. With the exception of poisonous spiders.

Once I moved out on my own, I fed my meat addiction heartily. And even decided to go hunting, fishing, and raise my own animals for the purpose of meat production. Everyone is different, and has differnt levels of tolerance. My sister is disgusted and horrified that I grew up the way I did, and can/ will kill my meat rabbits. I only have a few. And I treat them very well. They get the very best feed, plenty of treats, probiotics, get let out to run around on my back lawn every evening, they get held pet and treated like they are apart of my family. I don't treat them like an object, they are individuals with their own personalities and I think its important to make them feel loved and appreciated. What sort of life is it to sit in a cage and wait miserably for your death?They don't know how much I appreciate what they are going to do for me, and I only get one time to tell them and that is while they are alive.

My husbands family was very poor and they lived out in the woods with no electricity or running water. He lived like the early settlers did. They raised goats, pigs, chickens, sheep, and on occasion a Turkey. They played with the baby animals that they later skinned and ate. And he is no crazy serial murderer or lover of gory films. It was just a fact of life, that your goat was born to feed you and your family. He said once he had a favorite goat, and he saw it get butchered for the family--and he said the only thing that upset him was that he wasn't going to be able to play with that goat, so he found another, and enjoyed dinner that night.

My key to raising meat animals, is to have no favorites. If I do develop a 'favorite' it makes it extremely difficult for me to justify killing them--hence the whole bonding thing. I over come that by offering these animals as pets-- a few of my bunnies have found great homes with 4-H kids and rabbit pet owners. For those that do not get the privledge of being a pet, they become breeders. When they become old, and its time for them to 'retire' I do what needs to be done, and thank that animal for its service. Not every animal can be saved..and raising animals for food would go no where if people couldn't bring themselves to kill another aniamal for the benifit of their own health.

I simply do not find it bothersome to kill an animal for meat. I do find it disturbing that people can say "aw it doesn't matter its just a stupid cow." or similar statements. All animals are equal. They are all intelligent, all feel pain- some can feel sorrow or joy, and express those feelings in ways that we can understand them. But then. plants can 'feel' sensations too..ever see Myth busters when they hooked a plant up to a lie detector and then scortched it? There was an energy surge as the plant was being scortched, and then everytime anyone tried to touch it there after; almost as if it was anticipating another assault.

They can sense heat, cold, light, dark--too much cold or heat "hurts" a plant, but No one feels bad about up rooting a carrot, letting its root membranes dry out on the counter, and then get chopped up and boiled while all the cells are still living---And I am not willing to starve on the behalf of an animal..I would gladly eat one of my pets if I were trapped in a blizzard for months with no food. Humans are omnivores, and it is just as natural for man to eat a fish as it is for a snake to eat mice.

As a child, and now as an adult I believe its benificial to be able to hunt for your own food. Vegitarians only live well today because of the variety of food/processed food (soy,rice products) that stores carry--but what if there were no stores? How hard would it be for Vegans in cold or hot dry climates to grow a good crop of rice or soy to make their own tofu or rice milk? Would they be able to also grow alot of the stabilizers and texturizers that are commonly used in those products? True veggies have alot of vitamins and nutrients, but they don't have alot of Protien, Fats or B vitamins--that are essential for good liver function. Many vegans, my stepfather included, suffer from liver problems and need to be given injections of essential vitamin B and protien as they get older. Afflictions of eatting too much meat and not enough veggies also plague people.. but no vegan I know of has ever lived beyond 90..

What if there was a major global catastrophy and we all got plunged into the dark ages? The life that many modern vegitarians enjoy wouldn't exsist. They simply wouldn't be able to say, "Im not intersted in buying your wool Sir, but do you have any bamboo fiber??" I am not a conspiracy theorist or anything, its just the facts..people who have an open mind--who can grow and raise their own food are more independant, and better fit for surviving in this global economy or the next.

Last edited:
And who knows with your daughter she could be desensitised or horrified only time will tell, my children may also disagree with me as they get older (vegan from birth) we can only raise then with our own values and then let them make their own decisions.

I don't know where you are, but the cows in your area may very well not be structurally correct. If they have udder and feet and leg issues they aren't, plain and simple. I moved from California to Missouri a few months ago, and the cows I see here are not nearly the quality of animals I am used to seeing. Maybe the local dairymen use their own home grown bulls and don't use AI (artificial insemination) another, according to some, "cruel" practice. I can't say for sure because I have not talked to any dairymen here. I have just seen their cows as I drive by. With AI you can use a much better bull than you could afford to buy. You cannot "force" a cow into high production. She will produce what she has the genetics to produce, provided she is given the proper feed and care. If she doesn't get that, she won't produce to her potential.

This has nothing to do with cows, but in a way it does. I once saw a series of pictures of the top producing dairy goats for a particular year that was a real eye opener. One of the does had a beautiful udder, well attached and hanging above the hocks. One other doe had what we used to call a "frying pan" udder. Meaning you needed a frying pan to milk her because the udder was so pendulous and low to the ground only a fring pan would fit under it. I would be surprised if her teats cleared the ground by more than three inches. Anyway, the reason these pictures stuck in my mind is that the doe with the good udder produced more than twice as milk as the doe whose bag nearly drug the ground. Now if the doe with the poor udder had not milked as much as she did, her udder wouldn't be dragging through the mud. The doe with correct conformation could and did carry more than twice as much milk as the "frying pan" goat without trouble.

Elizabethaz................
It's good to hear that you care for your animals with love and appreciation, I would imagine some people would struggle with giving as much affection when they know how it will end, as you put it having favourites.
As for health I couldn't disagree more, I am a very healthy person as are my two children and we lack no vitamin in our diet there is protein in practicaly everything you eat and higher in lentils,beans,nuts and seeds but I find it the easiest to manage. As for b bits again so much choice b1 2 3 .. Avocado dates grapes mango orange pineapple watermelon asparagus sprouts squash corn peas potatoes brazil nuts oats brown rice bananas book Choy broccoli mushrooms soy beans! The list goes on b12 still readily available any fortified cereal plant milk has plenty. You talk of the dark ages and I ask, what are the animals you are raising eating? Cos you talk of a situation where vegans can't grow crops so you would need to grow crops as much as us surely in order to feed your animals in which case we would all be in trouble!
As for knowing of no vegan that lived beyond 90 , you need look no further than the founder of the vegan society and inventor of the word vegan ! Donald Watson lived a long happy vegan life and died age 95 . Having said that I worked as a carer in a nursing home for the elderly before having my children and saw many meat eating people die much younger and in terrible health. The eating of meat has also been linked to bad health, but if you ask me they tell us everything is bad for us at some point!
My point is there are healthy and unhealthy vegans and healthy and unhealthy meat eaters alike and 90 years old seems a good innings to me, most of my older relatives died younger than that and all ate meat fish eggs and dairy!

Happy chooks"............ Thanks for the link, fantastic photos! I also love a zoom! Tell your son he did a great job! Bees are looking beautiful and clearly getting straight to work! I looked up the glove thing on a few expert sites and all state rubber gloves as perfectly fine. Hope you'll keep us updated with pics and info I find it fascinating ! Also would love to see a pic of your fruit trees, have those bees got their work cut out! Lol

This is such an interesting thread! I get asked alot of questions--being a 'reformed Vegan'...so I thought I would lay in my perspective :)

My mom and stepdad loved gardening and were fortunate enough to own a house on a full acre with their own well. They did as much as they could to allow us kids to be raised as 'normally' as possible, but teach us also about the value of life. We had half of the property dedicated to a veggie garden and orchard, and we had a green house attatched to the side of the house for growing winter food.. we hardly ever went to the store for fruit or veggies.

My mom grew up eatting meat, drinking milk, and eatting eggs..and so did my stepdad, but he decided at some point in his life that he didn't want to kill animals for food or support their exploitation by commercial industry--and so he became a vegan... Mom still ate meat when they met and gave it up for him. My youngest siblings went right along with being good little vegans, but I had a secret addiction to meat. I would trade food for a lunch meat sandwich to get my fix. My mom found out and was very angry with me, and asked if I would be willing to kill for the meat I was eatting--I said to her horror "YES." I was grounded.

With regards to how animals are treated, I was taught that the needs of the animals are ABOVE your own. Animals raised in a domesticated environment don't have the 'skills' to survive in the wild on their own. And if my pet rat could escape and feed himself, or find a cleaner place to live--he would. We were also taught to never own an animal unless we knew EVERYTHING about its care requirements and ecological history ( research before you buy). Pets belonged to the parents. Us kids looked after the pets as if they were our siblings. If we wanted a pet we were welcome to "share" with my parents. An animal wasn't ours unless we were buying ALL of its food and could afford the vet bill. All life was respected, in the sense that every animal has its purpose and should never be taken, or taken for granted. With the exception of poisonous spiders.

Once I moved out on my own, I fed my meat addiction heartily. And even decided to go hunting, fishing, and raise my own animals for the purpose of meat production. Everyone is different, and has differnt levels of tolerance. My sister is disgusted and horrified that I grew up the way I did, and can/ will kill my meat rabbits. I only have a few. And I treat them very well. They get the very best feed, plenty of treats, probiotics, get let out to run around on my back lawn every evening, they get held pet and treated like they are apart of my family. I don't treat them like an object, they are individuals with their own personalities and I think its important to make them feel loved and appreciated. What sort of life is it to sit in a cage and wait miserably for your death?They don't know how much I appreciate what they are going to do for me, and I only get one time to tell them and that is while they are alive.

My husbands family was very poor and they lived out in the woods with no electricity or running water. He lived like the early settlers did. They raised goats, pigs, chickens, sheep, and on occasion a Turkey. They played with the baby animals that they later skinned and ate. And he is no crazy serial murderer or lover of gory films. It was just a fact of life, that your goat was born to feed you and your family. He said once he had a favorite goat, and he saw it get butchered for the family--and he said the only thing that upset him was that he wasn't going to be able to play with that goat, so he found another, and enjoyed dinner that night.

My key to raising meat animals, is to have no favorites. If I do develop a 'favorite' it makes it extremely difficult for me to justify killing them--hence the whole bonding thing. I over come that by offering these animals as pets-- a few of my bunnies have found great homes with 4-H kids and rabbit pet owners. For those that do not get the privledge of being a pet, they become breeders. When they become old, and its time for them to 'retire' I do what needs to be done, and thank that animal for its service. Not every animal can be saved..and raising animals for food would go no where if people couldn't bring themselves to kill another aniamal for the benifit of their own health.

I simply do not find it bothersome to kill an animal for meat. I do find it disturbing that people can say "aw it doesn't matter its just a stupid cow." or similar statements. All animals are equal. They are all intelligent, all feel pain- some can feel sorrow or joy, and express those feelings in ways that we can understand them. But then. plants can 'feel' sensations too..ever see Myth busters when they hooked a plant up to a lie detector and then scortched it? There was an energy surge as the plant was being scortched, and then everytime anyone tried to touch it there after; almost as if it was anticipating another assault.

They can sense heat, cold, light, dark--too much cold or heat "hurts" a plant, but No one feels bad about up rooting a carrot, letting its root membranes dry out on the counter, and then get chopped up and boiled while all the cells are still living---And I am not willing to starve on the behalf of an animal..I would gladly eat one of my pets if I were trapped in a blizzard for months with no food. Humans are omnivores, and it is just as natural for man to eat a fish as it is for a snake to eat mice.

As a child, and now as an adult I believe its benificial to be able to hunt for your own food. Vegitarians only live well today because of the variety of food/processed food (soy,rice products) that stores carry--but what if there were no stores? How hard would it be for Vegans in cold or hot dry climates to grow a good crop of rice or soy to make their own tofu or rice milk? Would they be able to also grow alot of the stabilizers and texturizers that are commonly used in those products? True veggies have alot of vitamins and nutrients, but they don't have alot of Protien, Fats or B vitamins--that are essential for good liver function. Many vegans, my stepfather included, suffer from liver problems and need to be given injections of essential vitamin B and protien as they get older. Afflictions of eatting too much meat and not enough veggies also plague people.. but no vegan I know of has ever lived beyond 90..

What if there was a major global catastrophy and we all got plunged into the dark ages? The life that many modern vegitarians enjoy wouldn't exsist. They simply wouldn't be able to say, "Im not intersted in buying your wool Sir, but do you have any bamboo fiber??" I am not a conspiracy theorist or anything, its just the facts..people who have an open mind--who can grow and raise their own food are more independant, and better fit for surviving in this global economy or the next.
Good post! Read "The Secret Life of Plants" by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird. I think you may find it interesting.

Elizabethaz................
It's good to hear that you care for your animals with love and appreciation, I would imagine some people would struggle with giving as much affection when they know how it will end, as you put it having favourites.
As for health I couldn't disagree more, I am a very healthy person as are my two children and we lack no vitamin in our diet there is protein in practicaly everything you eat and higher in lentils,beans,nuts and seeds but I find it the easiest to manage. As for b bits again so much choice b1 2 3 .. Avocado dates grapes mango orange pineapple watermelon asparagus sprouts squash corn peas potatoes brazil nuts oats brown rice bananas book Choy broccoli mushrooms soy beans! The list goes on b12 still readily available any fortified cereal plant milk has plenty. You talk of the dark ages and I ask, what are the animals you are raising eating? Cos you talk of a situation where vegans can't grow crops so you would need to grow crops as much as us surely in order to feed your animals in which case we would all be in trouble!
As for knowing of no vegan that lived beyond 90 , you need look no further than the founder of the vegan society and inventor of the word vegan ! Donald Watson lived a long happy vegan life and died age 95 . Having said that I worked as a carer in a nursing home for the elderly before having my children and saw many meat eating people die much younger and in terrible health. The eating of meat has also been linked to bad health, but if you ask me they tell us everything is bad for us at some point!
My point is there are healthy and unhealthy vegans and healthy and unhealthy meat eaters alike and 90 years old seems a good innings to me, most of my older relatives died younger than that and all ate meat fish eggs and dairy!
I read an article by a vegan on his eating habits. He mentioned that at a recent check-up his doctor told him he's the healthiest fat person he (the doc) has ever seen! It's all about balance and making sure you get what you need.

I don't know where you are, but the cows in your area may very well not be structurally correct. If they have udder and feet and leg issues they aren't, plain and simple. I moved from California to Missouri a few months ago, and the cows I see here are not nearly the quality of animals I am used to seeing. Maybe the local dairymen use their own home grown bulls and don't use AI (artificial insemination) another, according to some, "cruel" practice. I can't say for sure because I have not talked to any dairymen here. I have just seen their cows as I drive by. With AI you can use a much better bull than you could afford to buy. You cannot "force" a cow into high production. She will produce what she has the genetics to produce, provided she is given the proper feed and care. If she doesn't get that, she won't produce to her potential.

This has nothing to do with cows, but in a way it does. I once saw a series of pictures of the top producing dairy goats for a particular year that was a real eye opener. One of the does had a beautiful udder, well attached and hanging above the hocks. One other doe had what we used to call a "frying pan" udder. Meaning you needed a frying pan to milk her because the udder was so pendulous and low to the ground only a fring pan would fit under it. I would be surprised if her teats cleared the ground by more than three inches. Anyway, the reason these pictures stuck in my mind is that the doe with the good udder produced more than twice as milk as the doe whose bag nearly drug the ground. Now if the doe with the poor udder had not milked as much as she did, her udder wouldn't be dragging through the mud. The doe with correct conformation could and did carry more than twice as much milk as the "frying pan" goat without trouble.

The cows I mentioned are at a farm near Sedgefield, Western Cape, S.A. My DH used to live there and he told me he went round to the dairy farm and how horrified he was to find cows being propped up and always at least one hanging in a sling from the rafters so she can be milked. I'm not sure how on earth that farmer managed it, but personally I think he should be tied up and gagged. DH said the farmer used to have to rub ointment on their udders where it was rubbing raw against their legs. I drove past there once and saw his cows standing with their legs apart with these HUGE udders. Heaven knows how they walked, poor things. Luckily many dairy farms aren't as bad.

Back
Top Bottom