What do vegans do with chicken eggs?

I had in interesting conversation on this topic the other day, actually.

Just to let you all know before I launch into the story, I've just turned 16 and I raise chickens myself to sell the eggs and for meat. My family's kept chickens for eggs for basically as long as I remember but I've just started keeping them for myself recently. We grow a lot of our own fruit and veggies but we haven't done much in the way of our own meat yet.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I was volunteering as a 'bunkhouse leader' (maybe you call them dormitory counsellors or something?) at a youth camp. I had 8 girls in my bunkhouse - one I already knew from my homeschooling group, she lives on a farm, keeps chooks and other animals, and is generally pretty sensible. I had a couple of quasi-country kids (all about horse-riding) and quite a few city kids in the bunkhouse.

Anyway, the girls found out pretty early in the week that I kept chickens. 2 of the girls also kept chickens, one the homeschooling girl, another one who has Silkies and Cochins as pets. So towards the end of the week we were talking about my chickens and somehow got onto the topic of what I did with all the ones I hatched. Naturally enough, I think, I said that I kept the girls for laying eggs and I raised the boys for meat.

The girls, needless to say, were horrified at the idea that I might kill chickens that I'd hatched and raised myself. How horrible it would be! One of the staff members was there and I asked what she thought of it, and she seemed to think that it was a pretty odd concept, to eat the surplus roosters. I don't mean to offend anyone who raises chickens as pets, but to me it seems just logical.

I asked the girls why they thought it was so bad to eat a chicken from the backyard, when they were quite happy eating chicken from the shop (we'd had apricot chicken the night before). They said it was because they'd never seen the chicken alive, and wouldn't it be cruel to kill a live chicken anyway? (I'm not seeing the logic here). I asked them, so it's all right to eat a chicken who's spent their whole life in a little metal cage, just eating and eating and getting too fat to walk or move, not that they'd be able to in the little cage, who were probably quite sick because they were so fat and never went outside in their lives, but it's not all right to eat a chicken who's lived a good life, outside and free range, in the sun with friends and scratching around in the dirt?

I don't want to sound hypocritical because I still eat shop-bought chickens quite a bit, but that's just my take on it.

By the way, I'm 'sensitive' to lactose/dairy - I have to be very careful about the amount of milk/cheese/cream/whatever I have because I can get quite ill, so I don't usually have milk at all.

Given the choice I'd rather eat my own chickens than shop bought. Though that being said, I stopped eating chicken 3 years ago.
You should tell those girls how broilers get raised, they get killed when they are fully grown after only 21-28 days. They have such short lives, suffer so much...
By all means, eat your roosters! Nothing to feel bad about when you look at the alternative!

I would say those girls lack an understanding of where the chicken they eat comes from. It's kinder to give a good life to a chicken and then eat it that eat a factory farmed one. Perhaps like me they don't understand why people do either, maybe they will become vegetarian one day.:)

I personally have not come to the point yet of butchering my own chickens, not that I wouldn't, but that I have not been shown how yet. My BF grew up running around his grandma's farm & knows how to process chickens, among other animals. I also have 2 aunts who have done their own butchering for years, especially chickens. So it's just a matter of time before I end up with too many roos & no homes for them & they end up in freezer camp. At least this way I know for sure what I'm eating.

As far as the kids go, I have already warned them we will eventually be eating some of these birds. We have our favorites who all have names, but we also have others we can't tell apart (too many of the same breed) that we are not overly attached to & would be able to deal with eating. I also have a couple roos of common breeds that are getting a bit obnoxious & may see the table much sooner than they think.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm 'sensitive' to lactose/dairy - I have to be very careful about the amount of milk/cheese/cream/whatever I have because I can get quite ill, so I don't usually have milk at all.
From my reading, most issues with lactose intolerance are caused by the pasteurization, not the milk. A lot of lactose intolerant people can drink raw milk without issue.

Shell..........I agree with you, people are too far removed from their food today. And not just meat, I've dealt with kids that don't know how vegetables grow, that potatoes grow under ground, etc. There would be a lot less meat consumed and wasted if people still had to kill their own food. (and probably a lot more vegetarians) My husband and I learned to butcher chickens because we felt that if we are willing to eat meat, we should be willing to kill the animal that provides it. Neither of us enjoyed the killing, but if you eat meat, it's a necessary step. I will admit, we ate a lot less of it (maybe more mental than physical) and we certainly didn't waste it. (we don't normally waste food anyway but a lot of people in this country do) We do buy a lot of our meat from local sources because we do care about how the animals we eat are raised.

My kids are 12 and 8, and no, they did not watch the butchering. My kids are well aware of where our meat comes from and what kind of animal it comes from. My 12 year old is old enough now that he will watch and help butcher the next time.

We prefer to have as much of our food as possible raised naturally. We have 13 fruit trees and a huge garden. (soon to be expanded) We sell some of our eggs to help pay for the chicken feed. We eat eggs for dinner once a week, either by french toast (my kids favorite) or quiche with our veggies.

We have now added bees to the mix and my kids are having fun watching the bees and looking forward to seeing them make honey.

I would say those girls lack an understanding of where the chicken they eat comes from. It's kinder to give a good life to a chicken and then eat it that eat a factory farmed one. Perhaps like me they don't understand why people do either, maybe they will become vegetarian one day.
smile.png
Good post! Many people have no idea. And they don't want to know either. I'm actually thinking of going the vegetarian route once we've moved. (We're emigrating to Britain) I don't think I'll be able to keep animals for meat there, at least not at first and there is more vegetarian (meat substitute) options available there than here (S.A.). And it's waaayy cheaper there
thumbsup.gif
(Food in this country is insanely expensive.)

From my reading, most issues with lactose intolerance are caused by the pasteurization, not the milk. A lot of lactose intolerant people can drink raw milk without issue.

Shell..........I agree with you, people are too far removed from their food today. And not just meat, I've dealt with kids that don't know how vegetables grow, that potatoes grow under ground, etc. There would be a lot less meat consumed and wasted if people still had to kill their own food. (and probably a lot more vegetarians) My husband and I learned to butcher chickens because we felt that if we are willing to eat meat, we should be willing to kill the animal that provides it. Neither of us enjoyed the killing, but if you eat meat, it's a necessary step. I will admit, we ate a lot less of it (maybe more mental than physical) and we certainly didn't waste it. (we don't normally waste food anyway but a lot of people in this country do) We do buy a lot of our meat from local sources because we do care about how the animals we eat are raised.

My kids are 12 and 8, and no, they did not watch the butchering. My kids are well aware of where our meat comes from and what kind of animal it comes from. My 12 year old is old enough now that he will watch and help butcher the next time.

We prefer to have as much of our food as possible raised naturally. We have 13 fruit trees and a huge garden. (soon to be expanded) We sell some of our eggs to help pay for the chicken feed. We eat eggs for dinner once a week, either by french toast (my kids favorite) or quiche with our veggies.

We have now added bees to the mix and my kids are having fun watching the bees and looking forward to seeing them make honey.
I agree with you totally... I feel that I am the responsible human. (there is some bible passage about this somewere) I hatched them, my job is to take care of them. In the wild, the extra males would be driven off to find other females, get killed by the head male or get eaten by predators.

I will be processing my first birds this weekend... I got freedom ranger chicks from someone local ... expected to get a full bodied, but healthy, happy bird that I could breed in a back yard flock for meat birds.... I got a ginger cornishX... These birds are miserable. They are so heavy they cannot walk very much. (I had 2 die for no reason I can see) I tried introducing them to my free range flock and I thought they were going to have a heart attack. My roo did the walk the circles around them thing and they freaked! panting in 70 Degree weather. poor babies are 9 weeks old and the size of my red sex link laying hens. I will not be purchasing this breed again. I feel that the humane thing to do is process them for our dinners.

On that note, the children (11-14) will not watch the killing part. But, I will be having them help prepare dinner with them and explain that we should be thankful for these birds to fill our stomachs. When we talk about processing birds with the kids, we also talk about the great meal (recipes) we will make to celebrate their lives.

We have not named them and call all of them the "Chubby Chickens". (they were raised with leghorn mixes and ameracauna, so they seem monsters by comparison)

Just my 2 cents.

Definitely if I ever get a rooster I wouldn't eat the eggs but then I'd have a problem if I had too many boys hatching! Don't think I'll take that route.
Happy chooks : wonder if you would mind explaing the honey process to me? Be interested to know how you plan to do it, usually as my understanding is, you would remove the honey and replace it with a sugar substitute fo the bees to feed on, as a vegan I won't eat honey, is this what you will be doing? I've only known one person who kept bees and they did this but didn't have a love for bees that I could see either. Once when there he had a bee crawling up his jumper which I pointed out thinking he would just brush it off but instead without batting an eyelid he just squashed it between his fingers! Why? Just mean I guess and no respect. He later informed me it couldn't even of strung as it was a drone which had no sting, I didn't know that but wish it had of stung him!

Back
Top Bottom