What do we need to know to raise 8 baby chicks?

I'd be tempted to try the broody to make things easier on yourself (no need to provide heat, no need to integrate) but that's up to you. I've never had a bird go broody at the right time to try it.

How big of a brooder do you think for 8 chicks to stay in for 5 or 6 weeks?

You won't need them to stay in there 5-6 weeks. With your temperatures plan on weaning them off at 3 weeks, maybe 4 at latest.

If you're dead set on keeping them locked up for 6 weeks, then I'd give them around 12 sq ft. But if you're considering early integration, better to have them out sooner rather than later, in order to use their small size to your advantage. How I handle early integration: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

I believe our extra large crate is about a 3x4.5 so a little over 13 square feet. Is that enough room for 9 chicks for 6 weeks? Ideal Poultry has a minimum $30 order and it looks like we'll need to order 9 chicks to hit that
I hit the mark with 8 chicks. Different ones are different prices though.

I'd be tempted to try the broody to make things easier on yourself (no need to provide heat, no need to integrate) but that's up to you. I've never had a bird go broody at the right time to try it.

You won't need them to stay in there 5-6 weeks. With your temperatures plan on weaning them off at 3 weeks, maybe 4 at latest.

If you're dead set on keeping them locked up for 6 weeks, then I'd give them around 12 sq ft. But if you're considering early integration, better to have them out sooner rather than later, in order to use their small size to your advantage. How I handle early integration: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

So good to know we can move them outside at 4 weeks. Would they still need the heat plate outside at this age in our temps? If so, they may have to stay inside with us unless it's safe to use an outdoor extension cord for the heat plate?

No they won't, provided that you gradually wean them off heat over the 4 week period. I had 3 1/2 week olds off heat when it was 48F at night, no problem.

What's the best way to wean them off the heat during those 4 weeks? Also, since we can put them outside at 4 weeks now, would an inside brooder that's about 5 square feet be big enough? The outside brooder sounds like it would need to be the 12 square feet you mentioned earlier?

I'm brooding for the first time and have realized that having them in the 4x4 coop is not optimum because it's too deep for me to reach all the way to the back in order to catch them as needed and too small for me to walk in.

Future brooder facilities will be designed either as walk-in or according to the length of my arms so that there are no unreachable corners.
Get a butterfly net to snag them, it works. amazon sells them

What's the best way to wean them off the heat during those 4 weeks? Also, since we can put them outside at 4 weeks now, would an inside brooder that's about 5 square feet be big enough? The outside brooder sounds like it would need to be the 12 square feet you mentioned earlier?

With a heat plate, if there's a temperature control for it (or a dimmer switch you can attach) you can drop the temperature each week until 4 weeks. If neither is available, I think given your temperatures, they'll be less and less inclined to use the plate naturally.

Might still be tight with 8 chicks in 5 sq ft, because water and food take up space (unless you have them both outside the brooder). More room = less poop build up, fewer behavioral issues, happier chicks.

With a heat plate, if there's a temperature control for it (or a dimmer switch you can attach) you can drop the temperature each week until 4 weeks. If neither is available, I think given your temperatures, they'll be less and less inclined to use the plate naturally.

Might still be tight with 8 chicks in 5 sq ft, because water and food take up space (unless you have them both outside the brooder). More room = less poop build up, fewer behavioral issues, happier chicks.

Appreciate it. We ended up ordering 10 chicks. Would an inside brooder of 8 square feet be big enough? Outside brooder of 12 square still sound ok?

Appreciate it. We ended up ordering 10 chicks. Would an inside brooder of 8 square feet be big enough? Outside brooder of 12 square still sound ok?

I'd bump it up if possible but that's just me. You can probably get by with that amount of space through the brooding period but if you notice any behavioral issues that's often a sign that space is an issue.

New baby chick mama here!:frow
We have adult hens that we have had for several years and we got them when they were about a year old, so this is our first time getting baby chicks.. and we're pretty nervous😱 we will be getting the chicks in September.

We're a family of 2 and we'd like to be able to have at least 6 eggs a day, so we've decided to get 8 baby chicks; a mix of hybrid and black australorps. I've been researching about baby chick care and would like to know if I'm missing anything?

- 8 square feet of brooding space for about 5 weeks until they can go outside
- pine flakes for bedding
- heating plate
- feeder and non-GMO chick starter feed until they're 8 weeks old and then switch to grower, then layer pellets at about 20 weeks
- waterer (shallow kind that they can't drown in)
- check them twice a day for health problems, pasty butt, etc

Also, what is the best/safest way to integrate these chicks (when they're about 12 weeks old) with our current hens? And we plan to continue to get 8 chicks every couple of years to keep the egg production balanced. We're vegetarians, so ours won't be culled to make room, but we have the room to expand this way every couple of years.

Am I planning everything correctly?
Appreciate any and all advice!

I’d avoid Pine shavings if they are really young...they tend to eat what’s laying around their food and are kinda stupid in that regard... I add a little corn meal or grind up the starter food to powder. Helps with any pasty butt issues.
If they are put outside during the day, maybe bring them in at night so the don’t succumb to any cool breezes with their downy feathers they might get chilly at night even if it’s hella hot during the day.

Back
Top Bottom