What do y'all do with older hens?

I do the same thing to my old hens as my roosters; treat them as pets. Doesn't matter to me whether my chickens lay eggs or not. I even have a flock of roos.

I love that you have a flock of Roos!! Everyone thinks I am weird because I have a flock of Drakes! My boys are HILARIOUS! Four runner ducks and one jumbo Pekin (He is in charge lol) I have had all my ducks since babies and they all stick together. I have my lovely chickens and four geese and wanted to get some ducks but didn’t want more eggs. Problem solved with a paddle of Drakes. As you know the boys are not sought after like the girls. That is another reason I have all Drakes. ❤️. Do your Roos get along? I had two Roos that grew up together. Just a few weeks back I lost one of my beautiful Roos. . He was in perfect health, young, lovable and one morning he passed away. I am still very sad about it. Anyway didn’t mean to go off topic. Loved reading you have a group of boys like I do!! ❤️

Attachments

• DE0BCF0B-FB21-4B9B-9C0D-E79A268F9834.jpeg
    DE0BCF0B-FB21-4B9B-9C0D-E79A268F9834.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 3
You don't have to post an address, just your state or nearest major city. There are BYC members all over the country who I'm sure would be happy to help you, since lots of people downsize their flocks just before winter. You can update your profile with location (image provided by @aart). But if you want to stay private that is understandable too.
Thank you for your help.
State of Kansas and closest to Kansas City, Missouri. For what I have seen on BYC I do not think there are a lot of chicken loving people in this area.

upload_2019-10-6_8-19-57-png.1927038

I know all you chicken addicts want to get new chickens every year. This becomes a problem later on because you will still have some of your older hens that have stopped laying.

I want to know what y'all do in this case. Do you process older hens? what do you do if you get attached?

I also keep mine for life. They're pets first.

My chickens are pets so I keep my hens (and roosters) as long as they will naturally live. Sure, I eat the eggs I get from them, but that's not even remotely a priority for me.

I love that you have a flock of Roos!! Everyone thinks I am weird because I have a flock of Drakes! My boys are HILARIOUS! Four runner ducks and one jumbo Pekin (He is in charge lol) I have had all my ducks since babies and they all stick together. I have my lovely chickens and four geese and wanted to get some ducks but didn’t want more eggs. Problem solved with a paddle of Drakes. As you know the boys are not sought after like the girls. That is another reason I have all Drakes. ❤️. Do your Roos get along? I had two Roos that grew up together. Just a few weeks back I lost one of my beautiful Roos. . He was in perfect health, young, lovable and one morning he passed away. I am still very sad about it. Anyway didn’t mean to go off topic. Loved reading you have a group of boys like I do!! ❤️
I don't know much about drake flocks, that's interesting! I've read that they fight a lot more and have to be separated during breeding season. Is that true? Maybe yours are more mellow because they can't see or hear any hens.
My roos get along pretty well. I've had to split my roo flock into two, but that's only because I don't have a big enough coop for all six of them to be in it together. My other three roos, which are bantams, are with my four bantam hens.

Back
Top Bottom