what do you all do to keep your birds from being too bored all winter?what do you feed for treats?

Just a thought, I also have a large plastic dog basket full of sand which is under cover, the girls spend hours bathing in it whatever the weather.

Mine get sunflower seeds, which is one of their favorite treats to begin with, and since it's been so cold and they've been cooped up so much, they seem to really enjoy scratching for the sunflower seeds in the litter. In the afternoon they get rolled oats and sometimes flax seed as their reward for letting me rub vaseline on their combs and wattles.

I bring them fruit and veggie scraps from time to time, too, but they don't seem as interested in them as they were in the summer, and I don't think it helps that it's been so cold that the fruits and veggies freeze solid so quickly. My chickens did really enjoy the pot of wheatgrass I brought out there last week. I had grown the wheatgrass for the cats, and when they got sick of it I brought it out to the chickens. It was mowed down within the hour.
smile.png

Mine get sunflower seeds, which is one of their favorite treats to begin with, and since it's been so cold and they've been cooped up so much, they seem to really enjoy scratching for the sunflower seeds in the litter. In the afternoon they get rolled oats and sometimes flax seed as their reward for letting me rub vaseline on their combs and wattles.
Why do you but vaseline on their combs/wattles does it help them in any way?

Back
Top Bottom