What Do You Call A Straight Feathered Showgirl ..?????

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
7205_lookout2nd.jpg

She's very cute, what is she? She has black skin, silkie toes and face but straight feathers?

OMG, she's so adorable. My guess is that someone either was developing their own line of showgirls with the turken and the recessive gene came out or my other idea is someone was trying to make a sizzle showgirl and used a frizzle cochin and the straight gene came out. It would depend on her size. If she is small banty size then I go with the second
wink.png
. I have some sizzleXsilkie mixes that hatched with straight feathers.......

Last edited:
She is soooo cute! Are you sure that she is half Silkie, though? A few months ago, someone posted oodles of photos of their Turken mixes. They were cute, too.

the silkies have black skin and 5 toes where Turkens have 4 toes, yellow skin, and a single comb......

I am still going to go with my second, I think someone crossed a showgirl with a cochin/frizzle
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Smooth feathering is not recessive, it's the silkie feathering that is. That bird looks like the start to a showgirl program...maybe f2.

Quote:
Smooth feathering is not recessive, it's the silkie feathering that is. That bird looks like the start to a showgirl program...maybe f2.

sorry, missed that. I have a showgirl that is *early* program(think he was f3) but he is huge compared to my silkies, he is the same size as the marans that are the same age as him. The feathering on this one just looks *cochinish* to me (now I get to make up new words
lol.png
). But you are right, probably just an early showgirl program, should have went with my first idea, but modified the recessive thing
wink.png

The bird in the picture has the dominant gene for regular feathers. In a Showgirl breeding program she could be bread to a Silkie feathered roo to increase the chance of getting Silkie feathered offspring.

I have frizzled Showgirls. I allowed a Frizzled bantam Cochin roo to mate with a Turken after getting a nice hen I bred her with a Silkie rooster. After several generations I got Frizzled Showgirls. In the middle of my project I got a Frizzled Showgirl roo from Jaynie in Alabama and let him cover some Silkie hens. I hope to have eggs available this spring.

Quote:
Yes. You should get 50% NN, 50% with feathered necks, and (provided she's carrying the silkie gene): 50% silkie feathered, 50% smooth feathered, carrying the silkie gene...so there is a chance you can get showgirls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom