What Do You Call A Straight Feathered Showgirl ..?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenzoo, Dec 9, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]
    She's very cute, what is she? She has black skin, silkie toes and face but straight feathers?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    OMG, she's so adorable. My guess is that someone either was developing their own line of showgirls with the turken and the recessive gene came out or my other idea is someone was trying to make a sizzle showgirl and used a frizzle cochin and the straight gene came out. It would depend on her size. If she is small banty size then I go with the second [​IMG] . I have some sizzleXsilkie mixes that hatched with straight feathers.......

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  3. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    [​IMG] Oh she is so cool!! A real keeper. I've got the Showgirls but none like this!

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    She is soooo cute! Are you sure that she is half Silkie, though? A few months ago, someone posted oodles of photos of their Turken mixes. They were cute, too.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the silkies have black skin and 5 toes where Turkens have 4 toes, yellow skin, and a single comb......

I am still going to go with my second, I think someone crossed a showgirl with a cochin/frizzle [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Smooth feathering is not recessive, it's the silkie feathering that is. That bird looks like the start to a showgirl program...maybe f2.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Smooth feathering is not recessive, it's the silkie feathering that is. That bird looks like the start to a showgirl program...maybe f2.

sorry, missed that. I have a showgirl that is *early* program(think he was f3) but he is huge compared to my silkies, he is the same size as the marans that are the same age as him. The feathering on this one just looks *cochinish* to me (now I get to make up new words [​IMG] ). But you are right, probably just an early showgirl program, should have went with my first idea, but modified the recessive thing [​IMG]

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    The bird in the picture has the dominant gene for regular feathers. In a Showgirl breeding program she could be bread to a Silkie feathered roo to increase the chance of getting Silkie feathered offspring.

I have frizzled Showgirls. I allowed a Frizzled bantam Cochin roo to mate with a Turken after getting a nice hen I bred her with a Silkie rooster. After several generations I got Frizzled Showgirls. In the middle of my project I got a Frizzled Showgirl roo from Jaynie in Alabama and let him cover some Silkie hens. I hope to have eggs available this spring.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So could I breed her back to one of my Silkie roos and possibly get a showgirl?

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Yes. You should get 50% NN, 50% with feathered necks, and (provided she's carrying the silkie gene): 50% silkie feathered, 50% smooth feathered, carrying the silkie gene...so there is a chance you can get showgirls.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by