What do you call Campine feather pattern?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. I ask because I've been breeding them for several years and the other day someone bought a couple of pullets and asked me just that question.
    I said, "They're Campines --- that's their pattern, and these are silver Campines".

    I was at a bit of a loss, because I felt like there should be more info I could have offered.
    Some of the feathers are 'barred', but not all and not all over the body.

    Is this pattern distinctly "Campine"?

  2. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    Lisa, I think it's called "transversely barred". I don't think they are the only ones who have it, but can't think of any others off the top of my head.
  3. Thanks, "transversely barred" is a new term to me.

    I googled that term and got lots of hits (on the surface, all chicken references are back to Campines).
    There are a lot of birds out there "transversely barred" that aren't chicken.

    Thanks again [​IMG]

    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by