What do you call it when your chicken squats?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Oct 22, 2012.

  1. epeloquin

    epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    This thread was inspired by another thread that was discussing the subject of hens squatting. After seeing several different names given to the behavior I had to find out what everyone else calls it. For those who may not know what I am talking about, when pullets (immature females) get close to their egg laying maturity most will begin to display a submissive/mating behavior. When you approach them and/or reach down toward them they will jut their wings out slightly, drop low to the ground and tip their behind up and some will stomp their feet too.

    I am wondering what you all call this behavior. We call it "SQUATTY GIRL"!!
  2. countrygoddess

    countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

    Haha! This should be good, to hear what everyone calls it. I guess we've always just called our girls "submissive girl" when they do it. Mostly, my kids and I just imitate them to get each other to laugh. =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by