What do you do to keep the winter blues (blahs) at bay?????

i moved tro Florida
lau.gif

since leaving so. calif.. to move to new york there is an average of 63 days of sunshine a yr!!!! so i am on anitdepressants.. and i use a full spectrum light over my computer so when i am on it is on.. since the snow is so bad here i just hibernate and rarely get out.. only for groceries.. i watch tv. play games on pogo, visit with byc's, read, do puzzles. bake, make hardier dinners.. and wait for hubby to get home from work.. kids are grown so it is very quiet here. guess i will be sneaking in a chicken once in a while for a lap petting but don't tell hubby hehehee.

Winter is the season that I get to work on my indoor projects. So, I sew, spin, knit, weave, paint...... I get so many fun projects done. Our area also gets an amazing number of migratory birds, so I go to the Wildlife Refuge often. The cloudy days are fun hiking days, the moss gets so thick on the trees that it seems like it's greener than in the spring.

Next week I'm going to build my greenhouse, so this year I'll be able to fuss over my fuschias in the dead of winter. Being able to play with plants always helps.

Quote:
SAD sucks, and for me it's getting worse every year even though I've moved back down south.
I have a portable full spectrum light in my sewing room that was recommended for me when I was stuck up north, it's an Ott-light. Don't have access to a tanning bed
wink.png
Also have aquarium type full spectrum bulbs in the kitchen so that I can get my daily dose even while cooking, these ain't cheap either but they fit in my florescent fixture, and pet shop should have them. I also stay outside in the full sun at least an hour in the mornings, chickens are helping with that this year.
Will be trying the D3 this year as I'm already having major problems a little too early in the season. We had a rainy, dreary, cloudy snap for a few weeks and I'm thinking that triggered it a bit early
tongue.gif

Most important though is not to allow yourself to wallow in the misery, get up and do something, anything, even the mildest of exercise can help, keep yourself busy. Don't sit and eat all day either, makes it worse.

Quote:
SAD sucks, and for me it's getting worse every year even though I've moved back down south.
I have a portable full spectrum light in my sewing room that was recommended for me when I was stuck up north, it's an Ott-light. Don't have access to a tanning bed
wink.png
Also have aquarium type full spectrum bulbs in the kitchen so that I can get my daily dose even while cooking, these ain't cheap either but they fit in my florescent fixture, and pet shop should have them. I also stay outside in the full sun at least an hour in the mornings, chickens are helping with that this year.
Will be trying the D3 this year as I'm already having major problems a little too early in the season. We had a rainy, dreary, cloudy snap for a few weeks and I'm thinking that triggered it a bit early
tongue.gif

Most important though is not to allow yourself to wallow in the misery, get up and do something, anything, even the mildest of exercise can help, keep yourself busy. Don't sit and eat all day either, makes it worse.

SAD is really hard. What makes it harder for me is that I also have a whole body version of Raynaud's Syndrome. I have to balance needing to be outside to keep my spirits up with having to stay as warm as possible to keep the Raynaud's from kicking my behind.
barnie.gif

The D3 has helped alot.

Quote:
Would a heated greenhouse help any?

I can't stay out unprotected in sunlight long, I have a bad reaction to prolonged exposure to UV rays. I have to wear UVA/UVB blockers even in winter if I'm going to be out longer than 10 minutes. I have a friend with RS and it really sucks, we're either too cold or pealing most of the year.

Right now I'm having to balance the need for sun with the need to save my skin, I know I can get almost an hour with the sunscreen but...... I worry that will get worse too so I only have my face and lower arms exposed, even in the summer I wear long sleeved shirts. Hence the reason for the full spectrum lights in the kitchen, they do help a little.

Now to try the D3........

Quote:
Would a heated greenhouse help any?

I can't stay out unprotected in sunlight long, I have a bad reaction to prolonged exposure to UV rays. I have to wear UVA/UVB blockers even in winter if I'm going to be out longer than 10 minutes. I have a friend with RS and it really sucks, we're either too cold or pealing most of the year.

Right now I'm having to balance the need for sun with the need to save my skin, I know I can get almost an hour with the sunscreen but...... I worry that will get worse too so I only have my face and lower arms exposed, even in the summer I wear long sleeved shirts. Hence the reason for the full spectrum lights in the kitchen, they do help a little.

Now to try the D3........

Right now I get by with a walk or two a day, as long as I keep my feet and hands wrapped up good. Isotoner gloves are absolutely wonderful for the Raynaud's in the hands. I keep my arms covered from September 1st on. I would love to have a greenhouse someday, just so I can go somewhere that's truly warm and sunny.

I don't usually use my hot tub during the day (too busy), but I do in the winter. Any sunny day I have a few minutes I go out and soak in blissfully hot water in the sun. It has improved my winter outlook tremendously. NH has long, brutal winters. I keep threatening to move south, but I love it here despite the weather.

Most the time I would sit in my chair next to the big window on the north side which I do get indirect sunlight. It seems to help to get some light of some sort. And I open all south windows except for bedrooms to access more light so we dont have the furnance running all the time.

I love the leaves and the crisp air but my muscles cramp up so bad, possibly fibromyglia and PT I have been having for my rotator cuff surgery makes it throb even more. Helps more when I go to the Y in the warm pool......aaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Back
Top Bottom