• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
Get yourself one of those silicon rubbery type ice trays and crack the egg and "pour" the egg into the cube. This is something I read a while back but have not tried yet. I was talking to the wife today about that and was wondering just what is used to cover the ice tray. Do you wrap it plastic wrap? Vacuum wrap? Or does the tray have a LID? Gotta research this further !! But the eggs can keep a long while if not Freezer Burnt. God Bless USMC66'-
after they are frozen then pop em out of the ice cube tray and put them in an air tight container.... freezer bag works.

deb

Get yourself one of those silicon rubbery type ice trays and crack the egg and "pour" the egg into the cube. This is something I read a while back but have not tried yet. I was talking to the wife today about that and was wondering just what is used to cover the ice tray. Do you wrap it plastic wrap? Vacuum wrap? Or does the tray have a LID? Gotta research this further !! But the eggs can keep a long while if not Freezer Burnt. God Bless USMC66'-

I keep hearing about ice cube trays too, but haven't ever tried it. I wonder what is the advantage? 1 cube = 1 egg ? What I have done for years (before I ever heard of a cubed, frozen egg), was to put them in ziplock bags. You can get 3 or 4 in a good sized sandwich bag, or 6 or 8 in a quart bag. They can go in prescrambled or just shelled and dropped in whole. I use them as extra ice packs for the cooler on camping and hunting trips -- ice packs you cook and eat when thawed. To tell the truth, I take way more than I'll eat just for the ice packs, and even if it's just me, I'll cook a quart's worth at a time, eat what I can, maybe make a sandwich for later, and let a big ol' Coon Hound finish them off, and prewash the dishes. But you can use them at home too, just thaw them out and use. If you're a little careful, just like an easy over, and crack them careful into the bag and into the freezer without breaking the yokes, and don't dig around in the cooler too vigorously as they thaw, you can pour them out of the the bag after they are thawed one at a time too, or say all four at once in the skillet, and still have four individual eggs in there. I usually just scramble 'em and throw in some jalapenos, onions, ham, etc. when I freeze 'em and forget about careful for outings, but keep a few whole shelled eggs at home (I seldom need them though, I get fresh ones every morning anyway). I do squeeze all but the last tiny bit of air out before I seal the last bit of zipper. I guess I can't thaw just one egg, but I can't ever think of a time I ever needed just one egg thawed (or at least couldn't figure out how to use up two or three more the in the next few days). Why cubes?

Last edited:
I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999

We have sold some, gifted some (to neighbors who expressed an interest), traded some for spent grain from a beer brewer. Fed some to the dog. Freeze some for later use (must be shelled) they keep for at least 6 months (use for baking or scrambled).

Made frittata (used 24 eggs, all my favorite veggies, cheddar cheese) bake 350 until eggs are set. It looks sort of like a scrambled egg cake. Fills a 9x12 baking pan nicely. Makes about 8-12 servings depending on how hungry you are. Serve with toppings like salsa, ketchup, chopped tomatoes & onions, etc.

Boiled some for sandwiches & snacks. Fed some back to the chickens (usually cooked first). Crushed, baked shells go into the garden or back to the chickens. Baking keeps the pests away. If you have pigs they will eat them.

I read this entire post an am surprised no one mentioned using excess eggs in the garden! Last year I dropped two unbroken eggs into each hole before I planted my tomatoes. I had a record breaking, bumper crop of the sweetest most beautiful tomatoes!
Another idea not mentioned...target practice!,, lol... BB guns are great for this. And the stress relief is awesome!

Pizzelles! I was "raised Italian," so these are a staple at our house. We go through them like most households go through chocolate chip cookies! You'll need a special Pizzelle iron. I got mine from Fantes, in Philadelphia.

Pizzelles
6 eggs
1 1/2 c sugar
Beat them together until they're creamy

Add:
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp anise or almond oil
2 cups butter or margarine - melted and cooled.
Mix thoroughly

In a separate bowl, sift (I just put the dry ingredients together and whisk them):

3 1/2 c flour
4 tsp baking powder

Add to egg mixture
If you want thicker pizzelles, refrigerate the dough for about an hour before baking.
THANK YOU!!! THAT's what those things are called, I have been looking for them for years! LOOOVE these things but never knew what they were called! Found them in a supermarket in another state years ago, could never make anybody understand what I was looking for, and my soul " longeth after them," lol. Now I can order them from Amazon. Bless you!

Back
Top Bottom