• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999
Donate them to local food kitchens, shelters, orphanage, churches. Whatever is closest to you.

We eat eggs, we sell eggs, we give eggs away and if there are still more left over I feed them, cooked, to our dogs.
I feel like if you have so many eggs that you are just throwing away the product of a hen's labor then you have too many chickens and should find a way for the eggs to be used, or get rid of some hens.
I also put used egg shells in our garden. There's lots of ways to recycle all things having to do with chickens, do research before you waste.

FWIW I pretty much only toss broken eggs and the eggs from my burnt out Leghorns who no longer lay normal eggs. And if a rotten egg exploded, because apparently 4 days in a 70°F coop causes that, then all eggs in the box get chucked for sanitation reasons.

I am eating up to 5 eggs a day now. My girls cut down to about 3 eggs a day so we are in good standing. Fried eggs with caramelized onions are my favorite at the moment.

My 10 year old granddaughter sells my excess. She runs a lucrative lemonade/fresh eggs/arts and craft/ venture. It's just me and hubby at home now but we love eggs in many versions and a quiche or breakfast casserole uses up several at the time. I scramble or hard boil to add to dog kibble (3 large dogs) and to chicken feed (they love that as a treat). I rinse, dry and crush eggshells to put in a free choice pan in the runs. I couldn't stand the thought of throwing away good food and keep meaning to ask at the local food pantry if they can distribute if I ever get an excess. We show horses and if I take any extra cartons they go in a flash to those camping at the shows. I intellectually understand the liability spoken of but I would never let the very small possibility of that keep me from sharing food when so many are hungry.

I made deviled eggs and passed out to Mama and her friends at the memory care facility at supper. I did ask to make sure everyone could have on their diet, but never thought of being sued. So easy to eat with limited teeth. Guess I could get sued if they choked, but I'll take that risk. I have been pushing for 4 yrs. for better diet there, but some old folks can subsist on desserts, it seems. They feed what the workers eat, which is mostly carbs. Those workers will never make it to 91, like Mama. Eggs are super nutritious!

We have a freeze Dryer. Any extra anything goes into the machine and gets stored in mylar for long or short term storage. We have done both raw and scrambled. FD raw beaten eggs turns into a powder, that easily reconstitutes back into the real thing. Nobody I have fed them to has a clue that they are not freshly cracked!

We have a freeze Dryer. Any extra anything goes into the machine and gets stored in mylar for long or short term storage. We have done both raw and scrambled. FD raw beaten eggs turns into a powder, that easily reconstitutes back into the real thing. Nobody I have fed them to has a clue that they are not freshly cracked!
Wow! I've been eyeing those machine ads and wishing they were more affordable. You like them for garden veggies and such?

Our chickens are free range however the hens have certain places where they lay their eggs. We collect them daily so are able to fill the large egg flats very often.
We live in a rural area but most of the people here don't have chickens so I give them to poor families and also keep the
orphanage a mile from us supplied with fresh ranch eggs.

Back
Top Bottom