What do you do with all your eggs?!

Pics

Esjay600

Chirping
Dec 3, 2017
Australia
Hi everyone!

I have only THREE hens, which are just about to lay (one started six days ago), but I know many of you have a dozen, two dozen, maybe more, hens!

And it got me to thinking. Do you sell your eggs? Give them to family? Just eat a LOT of eggs?! Maybe some of your hens are senior citizens and don't lay anymore.

So, I'm interested to know, what do you do with all your eggs?

Most of mine end up in the compost :( I don't want to give away any with poo on them and I don't think "regular people" would understand why they aren't washed. I swap some for veggie scraps. I used to give some to some people I knew, but they moved away to the country. Now they just pile up and I throw them away periodically.

Hi everyone!

I have only THREE hens, which are just about to lay (one started six days ago), but I know many of you have a dozen, two dozen, maybe more, hens!

And it got me to thinking. Do you sell your eggs? Give them to family? Just eat a LOT of eggs?! Maybe some of your hens are senior citizens and don't lay anymore.

So, I'm interested to know, what do you do with all your eggs?
Eat them and sell them. I have 22 hens and 1 rooster.

Most of mine end up in the compost :( I don't want to give away any with poo on them and I don't think "regular people" would understand why they aren't washed. I swap some for veggie scraps. I used to give some to some people I knew, but they moved away to the country. Now they just pile up and I throw them away periodically.
I wash them and refrigerate them. I make sure to tell people that since they are washed, they should not be left unrefrigerated.

Most of mine end up in the compost :(
That's such a shame!

Eat them and sell them. I have 22 hens and 1 rooster.
I love to see people around town selling their eggs. You have quite a few hens!

Like I mentioned, we have three hens, which is plenty of eggs for just my husband, myself, and our dog (who loves egg)! Any excess, and I'm certain there will be, we will give to my mum or his mum.

I have in total seven hens. So I would get 6-7 eggs a day when they are all laysomeAn my fridge would become over filled with eggs by the end of the week.My Nana lives across the road so I give her some an other family members if they want any. I wanna sell somen in the summer I live right next to a busy stop sign lol. I drive by a house near where I live that sells some or at least have a sign out Lol nut sure how good they do. But Im luck am dont get many poopy eggs. I try an whip what I can off with a cloth if there is any. I also boil a lot of the old eggs if I need too an either we eat em or the flock would. I know that Im definitely going to stock up next winter instead of giving them away. Still got 3-4 a day but colder snaps in the weather put a halt on things for a month. But now my girls are starting back up. But iis always good to have them take a break.

I have about 30 birds right now and up to 50 in summer. I give them to friends and family and sell them in town if I have more after that. We eat a lot of eggs, lol.

At one point (2014) I was getting around 3 dozen a day and still had stacks on the shelf after selling 10 dozen a week to a regular customer.

Last edited:
But Im luck am dont get many poopy eggs.
My girls won't cooperate. They won't lay in the boxes, they sleep in the boxes, and there's always some clucky mummy who sits on all the eggs. I got a rollaway nest box and the girls in there have now decided to lay BEHIND it (and under their sleeping roost).
I'd like for somebody to have them, but trying to find somebody who can deal with a bit of chicken poo is too much of a challenge. Anyone who understands about "bloom" and all that probably has their own chooks.

My Nana lives across the road so I give her some an other family members if they want any. I wanna sell somen in the summer I live right next to a busy stop sign lol. I drive by a house near where I live that sells some or at least have a sign out Lol nut sure how good they do.

I love that you can give some to your Nanna!

I'm not sure about where you live, but people around here LOVE to buy eggs from their neighbours/random houses instead of the grocery store!

Back
Top Bottom