What do you feed your breeding chickens?

Quote:
Boy do I agree with that..Too much soybean really isnt good...One time I bought a special mix grain that another show breeder was using , it had large part oats little corn few other seeds and the soybean was in there crunched up...if given a chioce they left the soybean all over just wouldnt eat it unless it was forced into thier mix pellets.. and not one speck of oats were left...their feathers improved we will see how fertility goes this next year , they just looked better over all...Our pullorum inspector said when she was here a couple years ago that the birds were not thriving , they were underweight despite feed everywhere .I wont say where the feed came from ....a local show barn told me to go get thier mixs. So I did, pullorum inspector was really complimentary on how well they did since the changes..this mix has a grass clover mixed right into it...more oats than anything and a tad of soybean..I sure dont mind a little animla protien especially in winter..

Hospital was reporting hormonal problems in young girls might be related to too much soy in diet, just one of the possiblitys of a recent years medical problem. girls were developing far younger than they should..I just dont really like soy If I can get away from it I sure do..

Quote:
Red Cell as in the horse vitamin.. If so it has lots of iron in it so I would dilute the heck out of it if I would use it...

Too much Iron can wreck a chickens liver..

Chris

Wow! So glad that more people have included information.

When I wrote mine, I didn't even think to add that they get leftovers from our table. Also when my 2 yr old dumps the cat or dog food we also feed that to them.

Don't forget that raw soybeans have antitrypsin which inhibits growth. I am sure that if it is in a feed it has been cooked...but if you grow your own.

Last edited:
Quote:
Please make sure that the tag on the feed says animal protein up towards the beginning of the ingredients, not animal fat or fish meal. From what I understand no Purina feed has animal protein in it.

I believe that Dumor, made by Purina has animal protein in it, but don't quote me on that.

The reason why feed companies have started taking out the animal protein is because that a miniscule spec ( I don't remember the actual amount) can cause Mad cow disease in ruminants . The feed companies don't want to be liable.
The problem is that they use the same equipment for all feeds, range cubes and layer, and it is impossible to clean the equipment to the point that they can be positive that the animal protein that was mixed into the chicken feed will not contaminate the Cattle feed. We have all seen bags of feed that have other types of feed in them because it was the last batch or something.

The problem I have is that feed companies are trying to blow smoke up everybody's rear end and say that it is healthier or better for our birds to not get animal protein. Anyone who knows anything about poultry knows they they are suppose to eat bugs and other crawling things, it is how nature intended. They were not intended to be vegetarians.

On the idea of feeding Red cell, I use to use it myself but haven't in years because of what Chris has said. The benefits of Red Cell can be achieved by feeding wheat germ oil and it is better for them.

Bob

I have always fed my girls Layena. I thought it was good that there wasn't any animal protein in it. The way they state it on the back of their bag makes it sound like it's the best thing for them. Is there a certain better brand I should be feeding them? I would definitely switch as long as it isn't crazy overpriced.
smile.png

Quote:
Please make sure that the tag on the feed says animal protein up towards the beginning of the ingredients, not animal fat or fish meal. From what I understand no Purina feed has animal protein in it.

I believe that Dumor, made by Purina has animal protein in it, but don't quote me on that.

The reason why feed companies have started taking out the animal protein is because that a miniscule spec ( I don't remember the actual amount) can cause Mad cow disease in ruminants . The feed companies don't want to be liable.
The problem is that they use the same equipment for all feeds, range cubes and layer, and it is impossible to clean the equipment to the point that they can be positive that the animal protein that was mixed into the chicken feed will not contaminate the Cattle feed. We have all seen bags of feed that have other types of feed in them because it was the last batch or something.

The problem I have is that feed companies are trying to blow smoke up everybody's rear end and say that it is healthier or better for our birds to not get animal protein. Anyone who knows anything about poultry knows they they are suppose to eat bugs and other crawling things, it is how nature intended. They were not intended to be vegetarians.

On the idea of feeding Red cell, I use to use it myself but haven't in years because of what Chris has said. The benefits of Red Cell can be achieved by feeding wheat germ oil and it is better for them.

Bob

Oh the gamebird purina is the only feed with animal proteins in it. Dumor does not have animal proteins anymore. I have just heard that red cell is really good to add but I guess not lol What other additives do yall put in? I plan on putting yogurt, boiled eggs, BOSS, manna pro, olive oil, and a little cat food or maybe catfish food.

Quote:

Bob

How much Wheat germ oil to feed ? I have a hard time finding poultry feed with animal protein, we are getting TSC soon, maybe they will carry a poultry feed with animal proteins. Right now I am feeding 22% layer pellet, mixed with whole oats, and wheat(some corn mixed in @winter), greens, oyster shell and grit..once a week they get some ACV in the water. I would like to try feeding w/Wheat germ oil mixed in.

I was feeding a good quality Game Bird Breeder (20% protein), based on advice I read from breeders here and elsewhere.
A few of my hens were laying soft shelled eggs, even though I was providing free choice oyster shell. I emailed the manufacturer
(FRM) and the response was that GBB was not formulated for chickens, calcium % and in other regards.

I had a very informative email exchange with the Poultry Nutrition professor at the University near me, regarding this.
Some of the interesting info he provided:

In regards to your question about the extra protein you are feeding to your birds by feeding them the Game Bird Breeder (GBB) feed. Your mature birds, roosters and hens, do not require the extra protein that is being furnished to them as they consume the GBB feed. As you probably know the protein is made up of individual building blocks known as amino acids and your birds really have a requirement for certain of these amino acids and not protein per se. The protein is used to only furnish the amino acids into the bird just as the feed ingredients are the furnishing the protein to the diet. So, once the requirement for specific amino acids is met the birds liver will have to dismantle the extra amino acids and dispose of the nitrogen from the amino acids as waste. The waste nitrogen that is being excreted by your birds (and all birds and reptiles) is the white material in their droppings. Whenever the bird’s liver has to dispose of lots of nitrogen from the extra amino acids being furnished from the extra protein in the GBB feed it has to work overtime and in hot weather, as we are having now and for many months to come, this will be a stress on the birds because of the extra heat that is being produced in the body as the nitrogen is excreted. The layer feed will furnish the protein level which is closer to your bird’s requirement for protein and in hot weather this will make your birds more comfortable. Your birds will more than likely do very well and have good condition and performance on the commercial layer feed once you switch to the layer if you decide to do so.

My question to him was that my flocks seemed to have such nice feather condition, was not the extra protein responsible for this? His reply:

One further comment about protein and feathers: I am not surprised that the GBB feed is promoting good feather growth and condition since it is higher in crude protein. When considering the many factors that are required for feather formation, overall nutritional adequacy of the diet is of utmost importance during feather growth and development. Feathers consist almost completely of protein (~90%+) and when the bird is synthesizing new feathers a source of high quality protein in the diet becomes very important. High quality protein contains the amino acids in the proper quantity that will be required for feather synthesis. This is especially true at the time the bird is molting and after which will grow new feathers. However, mature feathers are not living tissue like other tissues in the bird’s body. Feathers are made up of the same type of protein as is found in finger and toe nails, claws, hoofs, horns, hair, beaks, etc. This protein is called keratin and contains a lot of sulfur in special bonds referred to in nutritional chemistry as “di-sulfide” bonds. So, there are two sulfur containing amino acids that are very important during feather formation. These amino acids are methionine and cystine. Cystine is the one that is found mostly in feathers and is made from methionine. So, methionine is really the important one and must be adequate in the diet during feather formation. Feeding the higher protein feed (i.e., GBB), which would provide more of these and other amino acids to the bird, would be very beneficial at the time the bird needs them for lots of new feather formation, however after the feathers are mature the extra protein is of no use for feather formation and is a burden on the bird’s liver as has already been discussed. If a feather is lost now and then from the bird, as we know happens at times in the barnyard, it should be able to grow back with no problem as long as the diet the bird is eating is of high quality.

I posted this info on a breed forum because I saw several people were really uping protein levels with fish meal, cat and dog food, etc. to well over 20-30%. I was concerned about the effect on the overall health of the birds with this high protein, especially in regards to the liver and heat stress. I stirred the pot a bit, as some saying higher protein was needed for good hatchability...and don't want to do that here...but this is what I feed now, and have nearly 100 % hatches on my own eggs, even Marans eggs up to 3 weeks old, that are supposed to be difficult to hatch.

1) Basic feed is FRM 15% Layer. Contains animal protein, it may be chicken byproducts, but it reduces the amount of soy (agree that too much of this is not good).

2) Have put a 6 foot fence around the chicken compound in a large area, and let each breed free range several times a week. Keeps them from getting bored as well.

3) Never used scratch, as they get plenty of corn in their Layer, but they get BOSS as a treat, and useful in getting them back in pens.

4) Garden culls-depending on the season they get tomatoes, squash, turnips, cabbage, etc tossed in the pen.

5) Quail eggs-we are getting so many right now that twice a week I throw them in the blender, adding microwaved sweet potatoes, shredded carrots, and greens.
I fry or bake this mixture and it's entirely too labor intensive, but gives that the yolks that nice deep orange color, and adds some diversity to their diet.

6) Molting birds get Layer mixed with some Game Bird Starter (27%), to help with feather growth.

7) I add cayenne pepper to their scrambled egg mixture as well as pumpkin seed once a month or so. These are supposed to be natural wormers. I've had a few tests done,
and so far, negative for worms.

I know I totally spoil them, but no illness, good hatchability, and happy birds
big_smile.png

Quote:
The Red Cell that is designed for Horses is very high in Iron (at 300 mg. of chelated iron per ounce) and would not be the best thing to supplement you birds with.

Now there is a Poultry Cell ( Rooster Booster Poultry Cell) that is good for poultry..

Chris

Quote:
One of the reasons you may have had the soft shelled eggs is that your bird may have not been getting enough Vitamin D (D 3).
Vitamin D3 is needed for proper metabolism of calcium (Ca) and phosphorus (P), and in the formation of normal skeleton, hard beaks and claws, and strong eggshells.
With out the added Vitamin D (D 3) your bird may not have been able to process the extra calcium (Ca) you were giving them by adding the free choice of oyster shell.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom