What do you feed your turkeys?

I fed mine gamebird starter (medicated) as poults, then switched to turkey grower (also medicated) around 14-16 weeks old. Since they were about 6 months old they've gotten 20% layer pellets (non-medicated).

Thanks everyone!
smile.png

Quote:
I feed mine chck starter with some boiled chicken egg as a treat in the broder also some crushed marble for grit and lost of clean fresh water they are all healty and free range now about 11 months old two of three hens are laying and one is settting now they are bourbon reds

Feed them all gamebird feed it wont hurt the chickens.
Quote:
This was what I was wondering about. I just have one turkey and 14 chicks together, I was wondering how to feed them different food in the same brooder.

Quote:
This was what I was wondering about. I just have one turkey and 14 chicks together, I was wondering how to feed them different food in the same brooder.

Gamebird feed is usually 28%-30% protein, which will in fact hurt the chickens. Too-high protein causes liver damage.

You can feed them all a 20%-22% feed and they should be fine.

THe poults need the high protein 22% to get off to a good start, its bad economy to feed them lower, it just makes the growout longer. Most of mine will be brood stock with two Toms being kept back, the other Toms will get high protein right to fall.

The higher protein will help your chicks feather out quicker(feathers are 85% protein). Malabsorption can be avoided by higher protein also. I never have any health issue when I feed mine higher protein the first 4 to 6 weeks. If you are worried about too much protein mix the high protein feed with the low protein feed and create your own levels. Animal protein has some issues with chicks but are usually insignificant. Your turkey will do better with the 28%. A chick will usually regulate its feed intake to supply its needs on its own. Chickens can get Gout from too much protien but I have never seen a chick get it (35 years) One beetle has the protein need for all day.

Back
Top Bottom