What do you grow in your garden?

Quote:
That's a hoot! I LOVE hot things, but haven't had the nerve to try a habanero yet. I ate my first hot pepper at the age of 1 1/2. My parents always felt that if one of their kids is begging for something, the best way to get them to stop is to let them try the item and more often than not, they'd decide not to ask the next time. So, I tried my first coffee at about 1 1/2 and loved it and when I wanted one of my dad's chili peppers, he let me have it. I plopped the entire thing in my mouth and didn't spit it out. I then reached my hands up and started crying. Thinking he had overdone it and feeling really bad, my dad tried comforting me but I wouldn't stop crying. . . until he figured out that I wanted another one! I've been eating them ever since and if my nose isn't running, the food isn't hot enough for me.
tongue.png

So, guess what my nickname was ever since then? My dad christened me as "hotta baby." Of course, "Dirt Shirt" soon followed because I just had to get my hands into the dirt. See, I was bound to love gardening!

gig.gif

Maybe I'll plant TWO of them... one for you and one for me! DH thinks everything is hot... and to me, everything is about as hot as a piece of bread.
I'm also a huge coffee freak! Geesh if I could grow my own beans, I would. It would save me a lot of money!
Now, if you're growing hot peppers, let me know. Mixing horse manure in the soil will make them hotter!! Lord knows I have tons of that around here...

LOL. Let me try one first! If I can't handle it the way that it is, there's no way that I'm hiking the heat with the horse poo!
lol.png
I'd also have to grow that one in a separate pot because I'd be afraid that all my peppers would end up tasting like habaneros.

I wonder if you can grow coffee here???? Probably not, but that'd be worth some researching. I don't have enough room here in OC, but perhaps you do out there in Norco.
smile.png

If you're ever down in the Newport area, make sure you stop in at Kean Coffee. It was started by the founder of Diedrich's, which was unfortunately sold out to Starbucks after they had gone corporate and grew too large. Martin Diedrich is back to his roots and roasting coffee right in the shop! They make great really fresh roasted coffee there!
http://www.keancoffee.com/

Shelly

Last edited:
I never heard of horse poo for pepper plants?! I'm gonna try that one next year. Already planted sweet banana, jalapeno, and serrano peppers. They already have little peppers hanging off of them! I like to plant my pepper and tomato plants together. It makes my tomatoes have more flavor. We moved our chicken coop this winter so I put part of my garden where the coop used to sit. Everything has thrived in that chicken poo laden soil. It was really easy for my husband to till. Out here we have black gumbo soil. It doesn't till easily. He could tell a difference where the coop used to be.

We only grow strawberries, tomatos, bell and chili peppers, onions, cucumbers, basil and dill.

We have terrible soil so all our veggies are container or raised bed crops. I wish we could grow fruit trees
sad.png

kelli, all you need to is ammend the soil, something we all do to leave everything better than when we found it.

Leaves, grass clippings, chicken poo, etc.. will all help your soil to grow what you want.

Simply help small areas at a time, and you will see amazing results. If you want a fruit tree, simply dig out an area large enough for one tree, ammend the soil and whoohooo, I'am on my way to a green thumb.

bigzio

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I would love to have an apple or cherry tree, so if there is any way I can have it I'm going to definately look into the best methods to get my soil prepared for it.

Kelli -

Bigzio is right. If you work at it, you'll definitely improve your soil. Where I live, the soil is heavy clay and has a tendency to crack if not watered enough or become too thick if watered too much. Because of that, my veggie beds are raised and so far it is working well for us. We built those pre-chicken and still amend those with the mulch made from chicken poo and yard waste. We've been amending the rest of the soil around our yard and have seen definite improvement in not only the health of the plants, but the amount of water needed to keep them healthy. Good luck in your garden. Let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom