What do you keep for injuries or illness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnnMC, Dec 16, 2009.

1. AnnMC

AnnMC New Egg

Dec 6, 2009
    I am getting my first chickens this spring. I plan to find a local veterinarian that treats chickens. However, yesterday I looked at a livestock catalog and realized that I should probably have some things for first aide and medication.

So, what would you recommend to keep on hand for emergencies?

2. Jimmiaandboys

Jimmiaandboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Bennington County, VT
    Quote:[​IMG] We've been newbies since June and this is a great site for info! So far, for first aid we've used Dr. Naylor Blu-Kote (antiseptic wound dressing-fungicidal/germicidal) and VetRx for "relief and prevention of colds, roup, scaly legs, "eye worm""

We also keep a packet of vitamins and electrolytes on hand (powder form) that you add a small portion to their drinking water to "perk" them up (day olds after they've been shipped, if the weather has been severe/stressful and occasionally as maintenance).

I can't wait to see the suggestions of the BYCers, I'll need to order a few items, too.

Good luck with your chicks and enjoy![​IMG]

Mia

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Blue Kote, electrolytes, Corid, several different types of antibiotics and VetRx.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    I visited this site alot before we got our baby chicks last spring. I figured out really fast from visiting this thread that it is just really an awful feeling to have a hurt/sick chicken and not have a variety of stuff on hand to help them.

It can be expensive putting all of this together so I did it over many months before we actually got our baby chicks.

We have a friend who is going to be getting baby chicks in the spring so a bunch of us are going to throw a “baby shower” for her so she can get a head-start on her supplies.

Enjoy your chickens when you get them. They are so much fun and really enrich your life. All the eggs are nice, too. [​IMG]

This was the list I put together:

General Supplies:
    Latex gloves (for using when handling sick/injured birds) I get them by the box at the beauty supply store or CVS)
    Xenodine antiseptic (topical antiseptic)
    Vet Wrap (Flexible, self-cling bandaging tape)
    Powdered Electrolytes & Vitamins
    20 ml feeding syringes (for administering oral antibiotics)
    syringes w/needles

Topical Ointments:
    Bag Balm (for cuts, scratches, skin irritations)
    Triple Antibiotic Eye Ointment

Worming:
    Ivermectin (for worming)
    Wazine (for worming)

Respiratory Issues:
    Aureomycin/Sulmet (E.coli, and Coryza)
    Oxytetracyclin – 343 (CRD [chronic respiratory disease], Coryza, Fowl Cholera and E.coli)
    VetRx Poultry Remedy
    Tylan 50 injectible (CRD and Coryza)

Alternate Housing, etc. for Sick Chickens:
    Large dog crate (I got mine on “Freecycle”)
    Old towels
    Heating pad
    Waterer
    Feeder
    Heat lamp

Books:Chicken Health Handbook

The name of an avian vet for when you really need it.

I had not heard of Blu Kote before – but I will be getting some.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. AnnMC

AnnMC New Egg

Dec 6, 2009
    Thank you all so much! I have been spending all my time deciding how many and what kinds of chickens to get, and what coop and run design to build for them. After seeing that catalog I realized I should also put together a "chicken care" kit too. I will definitely be ordering at least the basics before getting my chicks.

I am a little hesitant about treating them with antibiotics if they do get sick, just because I am not experienced with identifying diseases. But then, I can just imagine how awful it would be to have a sick chicken after vet hours! I think I will also get that book to help me out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by