What do you put in your nest boxes?

Pics
Mine are plastic 'egg crates' on a shelf in a row, and there's a feed bag folded on the bottom, with shavings, straw, or hay on top. usually it's shavings, but it depends on what I have available.
The birds rearrange everything, and work to remove the bedding, so more goes in as they kick it out.
Mary

Never thought about the idea of lining it with something before putting some sort of bedding in! Will definitely make a note of that!

I use shredded paper (from our shredder) and top with either our local grass (green panic) or the dropped Timothy hay from our horses bales, or a 1,2,3 combo.
I like the shredded paper because it pads and shapes nicely, grass gives it a nice berm and i can afford to replace often. Everything composts too.

Last edited:
I use shredded paper (from our shredder) and top with either our local grass (green panic) or the dropped grass of Timothy hay from our horses bales, or a 1,2,3 combo.
I like the shredded paper because it pads and shapes nicely, grass gives it a nice berm and i can afford to replace often. Everything composts too.

I like all of this! hah! I definitely would love to start a compost. Seems like a waste not to!

I use hay its easy and quick the change out, I also use ceramic eggs from the craft store (hobby lobby) they are much cheaper than the ones sold for chickens. I keep them in some boxes all the time to deter egg eating. They peck it, and nothing. Also just know, every single hen wants to use the same box.. I have 9 hens and 12 boxes.. they use 2 most of the time. Sometimes I find one in the box and one sitting on top of her :gigThey work it out. Enjoy!

I like all of this! hah! I definitely would love to start a compost. Seems like a waste not to!
REALLY helps with the poop smell and muck situation. I recommend looking for a compost tumbler on craigslist to start you off. I keep mine in their run and scrape poop daily from the boards, add kitchen greens, coffee grinds, egg shells, leaves... no meat or dairy or oils. :D
IMG_20190327_092706257 (2).jpg IMG_20190327_085456646_HDR.jpg IMG_20190327_085413825_HDR.jpg IMG_20190327_085655112.jpg can't beat it. :love

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom