What do you think about my SQ rir pair

I just want to echo what Chris told you They look pretty good to me in terms of type and color they have a decent brick shape and color seems very good for the breed. If you want them really picked on post on the site that Chris 09 gave you and you should get some good input.

Good luck with them From whom did you get this start?>

oh oh does his name begin with a G and end with a y?

lol sorry cant help myself. If so, you are lucky I love his birds, if not who ever you got them from has nice stock
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think Show Quality RIR are very dark red almost black looking. I think there very pretty chicken master.

Oops! Sorry I didn't know that thank you for correcting me.

I would like to see them in condition as well as width shots, but from the photos posted, they look good. Have a good brick-shaped body, nice depth to their breasts.

Be watchful of the feathering, it could just be condition but some breeders are having issues with poor feather condition. It's not their fault and I'm unsure if it is genetic (I believe it could contribute) but some believe it is purely feed related.

I would like to see the width of the head as well. They look as though they have been in the breeder pen, and I HIGHLY suggest breeding them and getting chicks from them their first year before deciding to keep them separate for show-conditioning.

I hate doing this, but I'm going to warn against feeding large amounts at one point in the day. In SEVERAL breeds, the more horizontal breeds particularly, pendulum crop happens easily. It's the stretching of the crop to the point that eventually, the elasticity ceases to work. It does not hurt the bird, but is not desirable. Instead of feeding alot at one time, feed small amounts throughout the day to help the crop keep it's elasticity.

Like rodriguez said watch you feather quality. The birds in the pictures could just be out of condition but the feathers are a little frayed in the tail and wing..
Now I don't know if it is just in the picture but watch your tail angle in both your hens and roosters. Hens tail angle should be at 10 degrees above horizontal and roosters tail should be at
20 degrees above horizontal. I would all so watch there backs hens and roosters should have a flat back. It should be flat from head to tail and from wing to wing...
Like I said in my first post it is hard to see the color good in the picture so from what I can see its not bad..

Chris

They have bot been shown. I am not planning on showing the rooster because he has too many points in his comb. I might show the hen when she finnmishs molting. These are my first rirs. I am planing on hacthing off of these, i'm getting two trios from a friend, and I am going to try and get some from the mohawk strain. I will try to get a better pic tommorow

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom