What do you think about my SQ rir pair

he has too many points in his comb

`

The comb isn't a big thing on him.. What does he have 6-7 "points" to his comb? That might be a point or two..
How is his back? Is it nice and flat (left and right and head to tale) How long down the feather shaft does the dark red go before it turn to a light red?
That is some things you need to look at when breeding..
I have a single comb rooster that has 7 "points" to his comb and he does very well at the shows...

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, but that's one of my pet peeves....calling birds "show quality" when they've never even been shown. If they came from parents that placed or won at an APA sanctioned show then say that, but don't call a bird that's never been shown "show quality". Even chicks that come from 2 parents that have won at shows are not all going to be winners at shows.

I have to disagree on that. Chickens can carry genes from one bird for up to five generations. Some birds would not do good at show but make good breeder stock with good offspring. Like in the buff rock bantams, you have to have the black ticking in the tail on one of the parents ( not both ) to keep the buff color nice and rich, the birds that have the black ticking in the tail would be disqulifed in a show, and they are still called show quality. If a bird meets the standards it is considerd show quality! Show Quality does not mean it has placed at a apa show.

Last edited:
Quote:
Taking this approach to breeding,collecting random strains & blindly crossing them, is a sure way to get nowhere fast. Find a strain of birds you like the looks of & line breed within that strain. That way you have some outcome predictability. Mixing strains is an absolute crap shoot & it rarely works out well.
As to your origional question it's hard to evaluate the birds for 3 reasens. Their condition is poor, the pictures are very dark & the birds aren't well posed. without seeing the birds it's hard to be sure but they seem small to me [assuming they're large fowl]. I don't care much for the female's head or the male's comb. Other posters are right, the extra points are only worth 1/2 point each. However, it's a bigger breeding concern than it is a show concern. Personally I only breed from 5 point males. Those extra points tend to multiply. If you use a male with 7 points for breeding you'll find yourself getting offspring with 9 or 10 points.
Anyway, that's my opinion based on 25 years of breeding Reds.

Quote:
You don't want them walking get them wile there standing still with leg straight under them and take the picture with as much natural light as possible.. A dark pen gives a false color..
Something like this pullet.
33115_dsc_0155.jpg

Chris

Thats a good phot Chris. I have tried taking some and they dont turn out very well. The darn digital camera takes about 2 seconds to capture the photo. My birds seem to know just when that time is and move. It is frustrating

Thanks greathorse:
She is a little show off.. She likes to show off in the show cage all so..

And when they dont stay still I do this..
33115_dsc_0428.jpg

33115_picture_303.jpg

Chris

Back
Top Bottom