What do you think about Omlet coops?

Figured I would take some pictures of the birds once they settled in for the night so you can see the size. Keep in mind these are the Go model - smaller than the Cube, and I have 4 of them open for the birds to chose from themselves. Now I don't know about the "attached run" that you can buy with these as I bought a huge walk in run and attached the coops directly to that. My comments are specifically about the size of the coops themselves. 3 grown Orpingtons in one (the original flock) and 7 10 week olds (3 Bielefelders and 4 Easter Eggers) in the other.

Attachments

• 20211204_173418.jpg
    20211204_173418.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211204_173324.jpg
    20211204_173324.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 24
Figured I would take some pictures of the birds once they settled in for the night so you can see the size. Keep in mind these are the Go model - smaller than the Cube, and I have 4 of them open for the birds to chose from themselves. Now I don't know about the "attached run" that you can buy with these as I bought a huge walk in run and attached the coops directly to that. My comments are specifically about the size of the coops themselves. 3 grown Orpingtons in one (the original flock) and 7 10 week olds (3 Bielefelders and 4 Easter Eggers) in the other.
Sorry, but to me this is a rather depressing sight, as if one would squeeze chickens into something similar to a small refrigerator.

A wood coop not only would be much more pleasant for the chickens to live in, but also pleasant to the owners eyes and - which is important - would deal much better with the necessary temperature and humidity regulation.

Complete scam & waste of money, you can making something yourself alot more catered towards your needs for a whole lot less

Complete scam & waste of money, you can making something yourself alot more catered towards your needs for a whole lot less
I respectfully disagree. I have absolutely no construction skills and know no one reputable to build a coop, and wood is a waste of time here in humid Louisiana because it molds and rots in 5 seconds.

I respectfully disagree. I have absolutely no construction skills and know no one reputable to build a coop, and wood is a waste of time here in humid Louisiana because it molds and rots in 5 seconds.
Although that is a good point against a wood coop, I would recommend a brick coop instead that should provide the proper qualities for the above mentioned climate.

I would buy them if necessary. But the cube is fine for two. It is the walk in run I would prefer to buy. Although expensive.

But I rather build a coop to please my aesthetic preferred looks. I think the cubes look childish with the bicolor of white and obnoxious color of green or purple. The downside is no proper roosting. The divider to divided main room and nest leaves less room inside. Another design flaw. I don’t question their durability though.

I have 2 coops and run setups ( one is yet to be set up and sitting in boxes until spring)

The one which is already set up is a 10 x 10 run which I built myself using a kit ( cedar wood ) with a coop I salvaged from a friend and refurbished. Since I am not very handy it took me several weekends getting it all done. It is an experience I do not wish to repeat. The cedar wood added with all the other materials cost me about the same amount as the pre fab Omlet coop and run. I have 7 standard hens for this coop and run.

For the new area I am setting up in spring for 4 bantam sized hens and 2 standard sized hens (being delivered in May from MyPetChicken) I went with Omlets Eglu Cube with the 13 foot run, a few of the add on accessories and just today I also ordered the 6 x 6 x 6 walk in run to add on to it.
If you built your own coop and run then I say good for you. Everyone has their own preference and opinion. Not everyone has the skills or the desire to want to build their own.
The Omlet coop and run I selected will compliment my landscape well and I really am satisfied.
My good friends have a similar set up that I purchased and they have 4 standard hens in their Eglu Cube. They have had no issues over the past 2 years. Steady egg production and great healthy looking hens.
I find it funny reading through these comments how there are those who hold on to GENERAL GUIDELINES as if they are the 10 commandments and then use them to shame others.

I have an eglu go, hutch only. I use it as a broody coop and for juvenile birds. I really like it, but yes it is small. I like it for how easy it is to clean and I'm not worried about mites. Ventilation seems fine and it smells much better than the plastic dog kennels I also use as broody coops.
Price-wise for the cube version it actually isn't much more expensive than a similar sized wheeled wooden kitset coop here (decent local one not the Chinese fir ones). I would get another although I'd probably just go ahead and buy a cube instead of the go. However only useful for very small flocks. My main flock have a wooden coop.
Overall I like them and think they are well designed for very small flocks.

Back
Top Bottom