What do you think about this feeder?

However, the overhanging eaves are a great idea if the feeder is meant to be used outdoors for free-ranging birds, I guess.

True but did you ever see the rain come straight down and not blow, it will get wet outside, the overhang is not enough,

Like I said for that money I will get a large bucket with holes and a pan and put a board on top there's your overhang.
lau.gif

frow.gif

I am wondering, can't be sure from the pic but I worry, does the feeder have 'dead spots' inside where feed can accumulate and just sit there rather than getting shuffled promptly to the eating ports? It looks like it may. In which case I'd be disinclined to buy it even with more and bigger holes.

I like feeders that either hold so little feed that you can clean 'em out when you refill, or that have some kind of internal slanty bits so the actual feeding areas are the lowest parts. Like the J rabbit feeders that attach to cages, or regular hanging feeders with a cone in the middle of the barrel so old feed doesn't just sit there.

JMO,

Pat

Actually, I don't think dead spots would be a problem. It is difficult to tell from the picture, but each port is feed on a slant. Nothing inside is completely flat.

It appears that the feeder would be sitting on the ground instead of being suspended. If I am correct in that assumption I could not recommend purchasing one. When the feeders sit on the ground they are much more likely to have issues with the feed not evenly filling the area where the chickens can access. Also in wet areas like where we are, mold will grow quickly under items on the ground in the run. Another issue with sitting on the ground is mud getting into the feeder. Cleaning would also be much more difficult than a round feeder due to all the corners and the lip with the opening. I think the size of the whole would be fine. Larger would increase the chance of feed falling out and make it easier for the chickens to knock the feed out as they search for the tastiest morsels.

Back
Top Bottom