What do you think of the New York Times Article "Backyard Chickens Carry a Hidden Risk: Salmonella"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/health/backyard-chickens-carry-a-hidden-risk-salmonella.html
Is this the article you are referring to? I think the headline is inaccurate. It's not a hidden risk at all, it's just that (some) people need more education so they don't eat animal poo :D
I tell my dogs before I smooch them that I don't care if they kill me with their dog germs.
Basic message of the article seems to be to keep your hands out of your mouth and wash them after you've been to the hen house. Fairly good advice.

Yes, that is the article. Unfortunately the good advice was buried in sensationalism and seemed overly alarmist. One of the messages was that eggs from small backyard flocks are more dangerous than the big hatcheries. I have always felt the opposite was true.

One of the messages was that eggs from small backyard flocks are more dangerous than the big hatcheries. I have always felt the opposite was true.
I clicked on the linked study. Only the abstract is available without payment. What it seems to say is that small and medium commercial hatcheries can improve their infection rates if they follow the protocols that the big ones do. I don't think it's got much to do with backyard setups.

From the CDC's perspective 900 cases is 900 too many. I think it's nothing, really. How many people live in the US? How many eggs are consumed, how many chooks are there? Less than 20 people in each of the 48 states got a serious bout of gastro. How many get in car crashes?

If people are put off getting chooks because of it, well that's up to them. People who have got chooks should learn the hygiene practices to stop them getting sick and enjoy their lovely, fresh, delicious eggs for brekkie and not worry one jot.

Hello There,

I have not seen the article until @potato chip had shared the link. I agree it is a bit harsh, there are a lot of folks trying to steer us (chicken keepers) away from backyard chicken keeping because of many anonymous reasons from sickness to personal opinions.

Not I, myself, have been told to stay away, but a lot of folks try to get the point across that they want us staying away from backyard chicken keeping. In my very own opinion to the persons trying to steer us away...

Enjoy those eggs you use when cooking that are from backyard flocks.

A majority of them eat eggs, right? Probably more than half. If they don't own chickens themselves... Who thinks they have experience with the actual issue?

Remember, to those of you who read this and think shame, sorry for speaking my mind. Everybody has their own opinion, God gave us the ability to share our opinions for a reason. Thank you.

Sincerely,
-The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom