What do you think of this Barred Rock?

Sphinx

Crowing
13 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
A friend of mine called me in a panic a few days ago. A chicken had wandered into his yard. He doesn't keep chickens. None of his neighbors keep chickens. His daughters named it "Phil" and wanted to adopt it, but he just didn't feel ready for that kind of commitment and gave it to me.

I didn't do proper flock integration protocol because it's too *(&(T%(*&* cold to maintain two coops right now, especially if one chicken is all alone and has nothing for body heat, so crossing my fingers that Phil is healthy.

I'm thinking that Phil is a younger pullet, but I have zero experience with Barred Rocks, so I don't know for sure. Phil is a little smaller than my full grown hens, but definitely large fowl.

This was the best shot I could get of Phil's face.

Body shot while foraging.

Another awkward body shot (hey, the scratch tasted soooooooo good after a couple weeks of foraging through snow!!!)

Looks like you got a free egg layer! Not any time soon, from the look of the comb, but eventually.

Speaking of the comb, she may not bur pure as that comb has some wobble to it, but in this case who really cares? Call her a barred rock and enjoy her.

Why can't I ever have free hens show up?

I'd vote girl on Phil, looks pretty dark and not much comb/wattle development for the size.

Looks like a pullet to me.
smile.png

That's what I was thinking- the comb seems very small to me. It's pale, but I could've chalked that up to her life on the run.

I am sure she's not show quality- instead of a solid yellow leg, there seems to be some other color there, like some darker marks.

When I agreed to take her in, I figured that she was probably either very old, or a cockerel. To get a pullet that's coop ready dropped in my lap is pretty awesome!

Although, last summer, I had a silver penciled hamburg hen dropped into my lap- an old friend was over the limit and the city was cracking down on her.

Back
Top Bottom