What do you think of Tractor Supply’s new chick bins?

Sorry I didn't post my video but I had to post it on my YT channel in order to get it on here.
Anyway just finished and here they are in ALL their Peep-y-ness 😍🥰
Cornish, Australorp, Pearl Guinea, Broad Breasted White Turkey, Rhode Island Reds, Silver laced Wyandotte and Ameraucana
Also if you could go to this video in it's own tab so I can see how many people watched and liked it, I would be very happy :)
Oh and I have to say the RIR look Very nicely colored ! 1st time I have ever seen chicks with that good a color on them in a store.

Last edited:
I bought one of the panel heaters to put in my brooder I keep goin through red bulbs and no matter where I put it its either to hot or cold. Since my last bulb blew last night I figured I'd try the panel. They seem to like it all stretched out under it.
Is it hot to the touch at all ? Just curious
How much was it?
Is it just me or is their site look weird today?

Not the greatest of pictures, but it seemed like the chicks were running around. I did get two blue rocks and the “Ameraucanas” ( EEs, more like it ) and one of the rocks were tiny and yesterday I found her with her wings droopy. She’s fine now, but she didn’t know how to eat or drink yet.

Attachments

• 517374C7-BFF6-42DD-8787-14B24EB0A123.jpeg
    517374C7-BFF6-42DD-8787-14B24EB0A123.jpeg
    680.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 538AD48A-ADDA-4217-A29A-4844E08CC2BE.jpeg
    538AD48A-ADDA-4217-A29A-4844E08CC2BE.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 30
Yeah the siding will get dirty but so long as they clean it when new chicks come I have no issue with that. If it starts to look really really dirty I would call later and talk to a manager.

I don't like how they put 2 breeds in together, unless they are totally different colors (yellow and black example) Most of these kids have no idea.

I do see that you all have the prices on the cages 👍

Oh! And I was really impressed that the signs said “Easter Egger” instead of “Americana” !! They finally figured that one out! Way to go Tractor Supply!
This is a much more professional style of brooder.. and they aren't cheap. One of my local feed stores has used that type all a long. They are far superior IMO to open bins and hanging heat lamps.. MUCH similar to the heating plates many of us have switched to.

To me, it's an investment in a better future.. but I haven't seen them at my local TSC YET.

Regarding the use of the term Easter Egger.. don't give TSC that credit.. they sell the birds labeled the SAME as what they are sold to them as.. TSC is just a middle man.

I would say the hatcheries need to change their practice.. but most actually list the birds are a representation and NOT for show. These statements OFTEN don't get posted at the stores because they don't know or care about the difference and according to the law they aren't doing anything wrong. or are they??

Labeling laws in the US are total BS.. but this who Ameraucana, Americana, and all the other misrepresentations that come along with this ONE breed.. seems like bait and switch.. but who is to blame?

I'm still on page one but will probably take the time to read through other's thoughts and comments. I did read the first page and agree with what's been posted about not having the unit plugged in early enough, newly placed chicks, etc.. I wonder have you gone back to see if they've adjusted it properly and how it looks like it's working out now?

Thank you for sharing, I'm actually excited for the change and hope they adjust quickly! :thumbsup

@Finnie I just asked since someone said they didn;t know how long chicks would fit in those brooders and turks and goslings are bigger and fast growers. (We don't have TSC nor Rural King here.)
Oh, true, they definitely grow big faster. I have also found that turkeys and waterfowl can go off heat faster, so maybe if they outgrow it, they won’t need so much heat any more.
I wonder have you gone back to see if they've adjusted it properly and how it looks like it's working out now?
I haven’t gone back there yet, but today I find myself in a town about an hour away and I stopped at their TSC. Their chicks are quieter, and seem to be moving around. But one of their bantams is laying there almost dead. That happens sometimes either way. 🤷🏼‍♀️I see they gave the bantams a white paper flooring of some sort. That’s nice, for their little feet.
The wire looks kind of flexible. The larger chicks’ feet seem comfortable enough on it. I’m not noticing any smell.

20210227_113625.jpg
Is it hot to the touch at all ? Just curious
How much was it?
Is it just me or is their site look weird today?
Its warm to the touch not hot but the switch will go from 40 watt brooder to 200 watt coop heater and has feet to stand up. It was 40 bucks which is more than red lights but its keeping that space at a constant 95-100 and not 120 trying to find a way to hang the stupid light so it don't cook them. They can get under it toward the middle or stay towards the outside. Pics added. Its really nice wish I had bought it sooner for peace of mind.
20210227_113635.jpg

tractor supply shoved Cinnamon queens and favarolle's together

guess which breed the novice chicken owner came home with?

View attachment 2547496
But OH SO PRETTY !!!
Its warm to the touch not hot but the switch will go from 40 watt brooder to 200 watt coop heater and has feet to stand up. It was 40 bucks which is more than red lights but its keeping that space at a constant 95-100 and not 120 trying to find a way to hang the stupid light so it don't cook them. They can get under it toward the middle or stay towards the outside. Pics added. Its really nice wish I had bought it sooner for peace of mind. View attachment 2547486
Looks like there are some screw holes on the back to put on a wall too ;) I'm thinking I may need to get me one of those !

Back
Top Bottom