What % do you tip when you eat out??

I use to tip around 25%, but now were poor
smile.png
We rarely ever eat out anymore, but I at least try to tip 10%.

Ok first off I don't tip if is the server is crummy,if the server is mediocre a few bucks and if service is great I through extra money on the table.
And if the service is crummy I wont go back,I have one main place I eat at cause the food is great and so is the service.

I always tip well, at least 20%, good service or no. It's not the waiter's fault if the restaurant's packed, and/or... whatever.
What really burns me though is when we go out to dinner with another couple who are just too cheap to believe. If whomever we're with leaves an obviously inadequate tip for the waiter/waitress, I never want to see them again, let alone go out to dinner with them.

Last edited:
15% almost always and that is the standard in our area as far as I know. I can't imagine tipping 25 percent no matter how good the service. If it's a serve-yourself buffet or cafeteria, I would leave less than 10 percent. If I had very poor or rude service, I might not leave anything, but I don't think that's ever happened. My DH's biggest complaint is waitresses who don't return to fill his glass. I always remember that it's not the wait person's fault if the food is bad, etc.

I hope your tips pick up!

Last edited:
Except for the last couple years -- when he sometimes dropped to ~15-25% -- my ex always tipped $10, no matter what. And we were dirt poor. And he'd never waited tables. He'd always tipped like that his whole life up 'til then--he cared about how the people who waited on us did.

That was extremely endearing to me.

Depends on the service.. I tip VERY well for a nice server who does a good job... Now the ones who ignore you , take a break while you are waiting for your drink , mess up your order and just have a bad attitude .. They sometimes only get change....

I tip 20% or more.

When I waitressed, I would aim for 30% of my total sales in tips. Little things help a lot- eye contact, full attention to each customer for a minute, but not spending too much time with them and abandoning the other customers, always keep that drink full, or offer to fill, always come back within 5 mins of serving to verify if everything is OK, and always clear plates quickly once they are done - by asking if they customer would like them removed, and having them hand them over.

Some people like to sit and chat, which of course ties a table up, but I make sure to keep on filling their glass and smiling, and usually get rewarded with a higher tip that covers the lack of table turnover. I'd have people "hide" tips if it was a large party and the host didn't tip "enough" for their liking, and I've had other tables over tip if they saw good service and someone give a small tip. No matter the tip, I kept a good attitude, and it reflected in my tip jar
smile.png

For pizza, I tip 20% as well. We have one Hungry Howies that serves the area, and I've found we get really good service now
wink.png
Everything shows up piping hot.

I can't remember if the "Chic" tracts question was answered - they are given by adherents to some sort of Christian denomination, Jehovahs Witnesses maybe? Rather than tip, they leave a small pamphlet about Jesus. I just put it in my pocket, shrug, and go on my way. I had one lady that always gave them, and I always treated her well....because the tables around her usually saw it, and they would often over tip to cover it. I didn't mind. In her eyes, it was important to leave that instead of money, and I appreciated her concern regarding my soul (though I'm not Christian!) Some of the folks I worked with would complain about it, but I just would keep in mind her intention....though I sure wouldn't get far if everyone's intention was like that! I prefer $$$!

Last edited:
T.I.P.S. = To Insure Prompt Service

If servers did not rely on tips, imagine how poor the service would be.

Most states pay less than the minimum wage because they are allowed to take a "tip credit". (Not an actual credit)

Also, most important people....remember that most restaurants charge the server 3% of their sales for tips to bartenders, bus staff and server assistants.

And finally, I've worked in restaurants that were "difficult". It's hard to explain, but sometimes we are stuck waiting for drinks, food, the computer, restocking in the back etc etc. I tend to be more forgiving if the server appears to be doing their "best". What I have little tolerance for is me waiting, while he/she is standing around talking.

If it's not a super-nice restaurant, $2 flat. Usually that's a bit more than 15% of the price of my meal, so the waiter/waitress is usually getting a deal out of it.

If DH and I go somewhere on a date, he pulls out the phone calculator (or uses the calculator on his watch *geek alert*
smile.png
) and figures out the right amount.

I tip *a lot* more for salon services ($10 per visit). Since I really appreciate my stylist and I want to keep her happy -- so she continues to keep *me* happy, I am generous.

Back
Top Bottom