What do you use for a brooder?

100_1580.jpg

100_1482.jpg

100_1478.jpg

as you can see I use what ever I can get my hands on
smile.png

I'm going to build a brooder based around a underbed plastic totes. How tall should I make the cage on top? 16"? 24" Taller? We will have a Coop ready in time when they can go outside.

Thanks!

I use a plastic tote until they learn to fly out (about 2 weeks) Then if it's warm we put them in rabbit cages outside on the carport. Since it has been cold we put the cages in the shed and hubby covered the sides with foam insulation sheets. Then they get moved in to the big-girls pen when they are feathered.
This time we'll actually have a grow-out pen to put them in. We built another pen to put the layers in and will be moving them all over there in a couple of days.

I purchased an eight-foot stock tank at a flea market for $45. It had a couple of small holes in the bottom, making it useless as a water tank. Their loss, my gain. I installed some 2x4 across the top place in bedding, tie heat lamps to 2x4, cover with wire with two doors on top then cover that with a burlap tarp to keep the heat in since it is located in the barn. Can hold 50 chicks with ease.

Nice brooders! I was using a big plastic storage bin for my 17 chicks but they are less than 2 weeks old and I thought they already looked overcrowded. Last night my wonderful husband was supposed to stop and get a large cardboard box somewhere, but instead, he brought home 2 sheets of OSB (kinda like plywood) and made a big big brooder for the babies...4' x 4' x 2' high. He measured, cut, and put the whole thing together in like 2 hours
big_smile.png
We use a 250 watt red heat lamp on a dimmer switch for heat. They are sooooo happy with all the extra room to run and stretch their adorable little wings. I sure hope this will hold them until they go out to the coop....

19371_picture_550jpg.jpg

I've moved the cage the momma had her nest in, into a small pup tent. The tent is in our garage during our cold snap. It's big enough for them to race around, yet small enough to keep them cozy with a drop light. I change out a towel on the floor every day, and go in there and sit with them. They are so much fun to play with. The tent seems to keep the heat in pretty well. I have blankets draped over the outside for extra insulation.

Back
Top Bottom