What do you use for light- no electricity in coop

I am looking at solar light with on off switches too.
For me the need is human. I don't do extra lighting to increase winter laying.
You definitely don't want a light on all night stressing them out.

I have carried a camping lantern in years past but as my flock has grown my hands are fuller.

Chickens instinctually go in and get settled before dark bc they know they’re blind in the dark and completely vulnerable to predators. There’s no need to provide light for them; it may be confusing. I would just wear a headlamp or bring a flashlight out when it’s time to lock them up for the night so you can see....

Chickens instinctually go in and get settled before dark bc they know they’re blind in the dark and completely vulnerable to predators. There’s no need to provide light for them; it may be confusing. I would just wear a headlamp or bring a flashlight out when it’s time to lock them up for the night so you can see....

I agree they will go in when they need to. They know to settle before dark for sure.

I am more thinking about those times when I need to tend things with the shutters closed on the coop....like those fun "it has been freezing cold for a week but I MUST clean the coop regardless of the weather outside".

I agree they will go in when they need to. They know to settle before dark for sure.

I am more thinking about those times when I need to tend things with the shutters closed on the coop....like those fun "it has been freezing cold for a week but I MUST clean the coop regardless of the weather outside".
Get a motion detector light (good for predators, and when you come out) and a head lamp. That’s what we use - and a high powered flashlight. That’s all you need!

Get a motion detector light (good for predators, and when you come out) and a head lamp. That’s what we use - and a high powered flashlight. That’s all you need!

I do have motion activated flood lights. Inside the big coop is not lit up by them though.
Here's a pic since describing it is hard...at least this early in the day.
1335199-e30a444987a3428af1796a8bd562d96c.jpg

This coop has no electricity.

1335207-3f5aa7e1027f933e9a9db4706c86d8f5.jpg

This coop has power but only one light inside.....and it is on one side of the dividing wall. With windows closed in winter it is quite dark in the second side.

Again the light is NOT for the chickens to use it is so I can see better in there.

I do have motion activated flood lights. Inside the big coop is not lit up by them though.
Here's a pic since describing it is hard...at least this early in the day.
View attachment 2387701
This coop has no electricity.

View attachment 2387702
This coop has power but only one light inside.....and it is on one side of the dividing wall. With windows closed in winter it is quite dark in the second side.

Again the light is NOT for the chickens to use it is so I can see better in there.
Heard. Nice coop!

Ditto Dat!!!

Back
Top Bottom