What do you use to wash your chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oregonkat, Mar 20, 2018.

1. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I have a hen that has a very stubborn case of lice. Permethrin powder is not doing the job sufficiently so I would like to wash her and all of her coop mates. What do any of you recommend for this?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    How are you using the permethrin? Are you getting it down to their skin?

Bonniebooboo, Cyprus and AlleysChicks like this.
  3. Orps4life

Orps4life In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2017
    Gulf coast ms
    Dawn kills fleas on our dogs so it might help with the lice on ur chickens. Id recommend putting the Dawn in the water when you bathe her though. I've bathed a few of my chickens in dawn and it works well.

Bonniebooboo and Cyprus like this.
  4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I've heard washing them with Adam's flea and tick shampoo works well for lice. The lice-killing ingredient in it is pyrethrin, which is the naturally-occurring compound that permethrin was derived from.

Permethrin should work too, but you need to also be cleaning out the coop and dusting it down with permethrin to kill any lice living in the coop, and then repeat dusting the birds and cleaning the coop in ten days.

Bonniebooboo and Cyprus like this.
  5. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I second using Adam's Flea and Tick shampoo.

Bonniebooboo likes this.
  6. Orps4life

Orps4life In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2017
    Gulf coast ms
    also after their bath let them dust in diatomaceous earth

Cyprus likes this.
  7. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, as of last night we were on treatment no. 3, 10 days apart. I treated all the chickens turning them on their backs and getting the powder rubbed into the feathers at the base and around the vent and under the wings. I think actually that I got as much treatment as they did :sick and yes, I was wearing a mask thankfully. Anyway, the rest of the hens are clear but the remaining hen still has some small egg clusters at the base of her feathers but I do not see any more running so we may be on the tail end of the infestation hopefully, I just want to be rid of the damn things. The coops have all been treated several times so I think I am good there.
    Thanks, sure would be cheaper.

I think I will try the Adams stuff and see. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: