what do you use to worm chickens

Hey all
frow.gif

I got some Wazine 34 and my directions say for an automatic water proportioner you use 30ml(1oz) per gallon But on the directions for 6 weeks and over it says 30ml(1oz) per 2 gallons The way it says is 300ml per 20 gallons So will to much Wazine hurt them ? Personally I am going to use the 30ml per 2 gallon and see if that works If not then 30ml per gallon

Does anyone know how Panacur (Fenbendazole) compares to Valbazen?. Could find neither in the feed stores and only the Panacur at one vet's office. They issued me Panacur Suspension 10% and said to give 1/2cc once daily for 4 consecutive days for my ailing 4.5 lb. roo....... I just picked it up - haven't started him on the stuff yet...trying to do some quick research. I also picked up Wazine but know that will only address roundworms. Often on BYC I see people say to use Wazine first and then 10 days later to use a more widesweeping wormer. I don't understand the thinking on this.... Any insights much appreciated.

JJ

Quote:
Valbazen is the best wormer on the market. Safeguard (panacur/fenbendazole) is a good wormer for poultry as well. Forget the wazine and go by the vets directions. You can purchase 10% safeguard liquid goat wormer at your feedstore or from Jefferslivestock. It's $16.59 + $6 shipping from Jeffers.

Last edited:
Quote:
Valbazen is the best wormer on the market. Safeguard (panacur/fenbendazole) is a good wormer for poultry as well. Forget the wazine and go by the vets directions. You can purchase 10% safeguard liquid goat wormer at your feedstore or from Jefferslivestock. It's $16.59 + $6 shipping from Jeffers.
[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/19157_1231780759885-746958466.jpg[/URL]

As I understand it, the reason wazine followed by a broad spectrum wormer is recommended is to prevent a large mass of worms dying off at once and blocking the chickens GI tract up. Having said that, I'm going to agree with Dawg. I've always used valbazen. Don't waste my time with wazine and here's why. Animals can handle a small wormload fine. I start yearly wormings around 8 to 9 months old. I don't believe a chicken under normal circumstances has time to develop a large wormload from hatch to 9 months old; therefore no need for wazine.

Thanks Dawg and Grit.....

The Valbazen sounds great - just nowhere I can get it quickly since no one around carries it so wondered about the Panacur (fenben) by comparison.....
The vet's office where I picked it up last night is not an office I use or like, nor do they have avian vets but they have over the course of time treated various 'farm animals' and have used the stuff. The very same folk said they don't think my BJ has a parasite problem because older birds don't (that sounded off). BJ is 9-10 years of age.

The avian vet that I took BJ to on Monday said he found a few roundworm eggs in BJ's stool had said to worm him but didn't have a preference re: choice of wormer. BJ roo is very weak.....with reason as yet unknown.... Vet said there was a lot of yeast in his stool sample so put him on an antifungal..

Debated doing the Wazine first in the hopes that it would be easier on his system.......

I very much appreciate your insights. OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread - sorry!

JJ

all the old tennessee hillbillys here around home say they have never wormed there chickens with chemical wormers. they just feed them alot of busted open pumkins, the whole month of oct. old wives tale or just dumb hillbillys ? i just fed pumkins to all my chickens. half a truck load left to go. tommorow i will look for worms.

Back
Top Bottom