what do you use to worm chickens

Subscribed to this thread.
Please post your experience and information. Great information here !!

Usually ivernmectin is given 1cc per 100 pounds as in horses. The injectable is used orally by many in the horse world.
This really is all i know about the medication.

a fellow poster told me to use 1/4 cc and place on the back of their necks like you would give a dog Frontline. I did that and my girl bounced right back. Hold the eggs for a week ----don't forget that!
Quote:

I really liked the valbazen because I could give it orally. That way there was no question about whether they were drinking enough water or absorbing enough thru their skin, etc. For the valbazen you give 1/4 cc orally, undiluted for standard breeds, 1/8 cc for bantams. Hold the eggs for two weeks. My girls showed absolutely no side effects from being wormed and the two I was worried about have improved their weight gain.
BTW, when I was searching around on the internet I found some guy selling "chicken wormer" in little bottles of about 4 or 5 oz. for something like $25. Turns out it was valbazen, the same stuff I got 16 1/2 ounces of for $35.

Quote:
Your dosages are different that what my bottle says. Mine says:

4-6 weeks of age- 1 oz. per one gallon

Over 6 weeks - 2 oz. per 2 gallons.

Which is obviously the same dosage, just different quantities. What you said is double the dosage. So which is correct?

Quote:
Your dosages are different that what my bottle says. Mine says:

4-6 weeks of age- 1 oz. per one gallon

Over 6 weeks - 2 oz. per 2 gallons.

Which is obviously the same dosage, just different quantities. What you said is double the dosage. So which is correct?

Well, I am glad I subscribed to this thread. You are absolutely right. It does say what you quoted.

MY BAD. I will edit my original post and correct this.

So the dosages are the same for all ages.

Quote:
No, I don't, it's a big 5 gallon galvanized waterer. But I can buy a plastic one for experimenting as you mentioned.

If you use that Wazine you can't eat the eggs, can you? For how long?

I use ACV, DE and pumpkin. I haven't seen any worms and I haven't had a sick bird.
smile.png

As long as it works I'll continue to use it.

One poster on this thread said the galvanized metal would be damaged due to the use of ACV. I am assuming that poster is correct.

I only meant to use the little one for a test to see if it would be harmed. I have quite a few galvanized waterers and I test all the chemicals I use in them with the little one first. I think the galvanized one are the best to use, I disliked the "big" plastic ones.

The little galvanized saucer types with the 2 pint plastic screw on's can be found at your local feed store and costs less than a buck for the base.

I have ruined a couple, but they clean up OK for the next test !!

The mineral and vitamin supplements will stain the galvanized bases pretty bad.

Quote:
No, I don't, it's a big 5 gallon galvanized waterer. But I can buy a plastic one for experimenting as you mentioned.

If you use that Wazine you can't eat the eggs, can you? For how long?

The plastic bottles for those little waterers are 2 pints.

The wazine bottle says that one can not use prior to 14 days before slaughter. So I assume 14 days before the eggs can be eaten AFTER treatment.

One thread on the site said you can eat them right after treatment.

If i am going to treat for the year, i wait until egg production by the hens in pretty low anyways, save up a bunch of eggs and go ahead and treat, then wait 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom