What does imprinting entail?

WafflesNTimmy

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2016
Was prescribed an emotional support animal, and hoping to use one of this springs' ducklings! However, I've never imprinted a duck before. I work as a manager in a restaurant which I'm pretty sure won't allow the duck. I work six hour shifts, how much time away from the Duckie is too much time away?

Was prescribed an emotional support animal, and hoping to use one of this springs' ducklings! However, I've never imprinted a duck before. I work as a manager in a restaurant which I'm pretty sure won't allow the duck. I work six hour shifts, how much time away from the Duckie is too much time away?
Imprinting with birds occurs at hatching or when the eyes open. The first thing seen is mother. So to imprint a duckling on you, you must be the first thing the duckling sees. Hatch the duckling away from other hatching eggs and make sure to be the first living thing the duckling sees. As long as needs are met, several hours should be OK. Be aware that the duckling will never be able to socialize with other ducks; he will think he is a person.

Ducks can be great loving and quirky companions. There are lots of people on here who have house ducks. But they are a huge commitment. If you plan on having yours in the house, forget about house training and prepare for duckie diapers! :)

you will also have to check your state or city regulations regarding barnyard fowl, and figure out how to register it as a therapy animal to ensure that you can keep it regardless of the regulations. If you plan on imprinting it, you must have it from the moment it hatches.

Be aware that if the duck turns out to be female, she will be loud, and if you have cranky neighbors like I do, they may not appreciate her chatter lol. Also, she will lay an eggs when she is older (which are delicious!) but keep in mind, she will lay her eggs in her diaper if you keep her diapered, and then will poo all over them lol. Males, on the other hand, will be much quieter. But when they come of age, they are very, ahem, horny. And if you are the only other "duck" in their life, they will be very interested in you, if you know what I mean, lol.

All that in mind, ducks are wonderful pets. They really are. They will make you laugh guaranteed, and lighten your mood and spirits. You'll have to be committed, but in return, they will be just as committee to you for the rest of their ducky lives :)

Imprinting with birds occurs at hatching or when the eyes open. The first thing seen is mother. So to imprint a duckling on you, you must be the first thing the duckling sees. Hatch the duckling away from other hatching eggs and make sure to be the first living thing the duckling sees. As long as needs are met, several hours should be OK. Be aware that the duckling will never be able to socialize with other ducks; he will think he is a person.

I have successfully integrated imprinted ducklings into existing flocks, and they socialize with the others fine. I've had hand raised ducklings imprint on me and follow me around everywhere (omg the stares you get when you walk down the sidewalk with ducklings toddling along at your feet are hilarious!) These ducks are now living happily with larger flocks. They were never lone ducklings tho, they always had a single sibling to grow up with. I imagine a lone imprinted duckling would have a more difficult time socializing with other ducks than two imprinted ducklings raised together, if it could even socialize at all.

Ducks can be great loving and quirky companions. There are lots of people on here who have house ducks. But they are a huge commitment. If you plan on having yours in the house, forget about house training and prepare for duckie diapers!
smile.png

you will also have to check your state or city regulations regarding barnyard fowl, and figure out how to register it as a therapy animal to ensure that you can keep it regardless of the regulations. If you plan on imprinting it, you must have it from the moment it hatches.

Be aware that if the duck turns out to be female, she will be loud, and if you have cranky neighbors like I do, they may not appreciate her chatter lol. Also, she will lay an eggs when she is older (which are delicious!) but keep in mind, she will lay her eggs in her diaper if you keep her diapered, and then will poo all over them lol. Males, on the other hand, will be much quieter. But when they come of age, they are very, ahem, horny. And if you are the only other "duck" in their life, they will be very interested in you, if you know what I mean, lol.

All that in mind, ducks are wonderful pets. They really are. They will make you laugh guaranteed, and lighten your mood and spirits. You'll have to be committed, but in return, they will be just as committee to you for the rest of their ducky lives
smile.png

I have successfully integrated imprinted ducklings into existing flocks, and they socialize with the others fine. I've had hand raised ducklings imprint on me and follow me around everywhere (omg the stares you get when you walk down the sidewalk with ducklings toddling along at your feet are hilarious!) These ducks are now living happily with larger flocks. They were never lone ducklings tho, they always had a single sibling to grow up with. I imagine a lone imprinted duckling would have a more difficult time socializing with other ducks than two imprinted ducklings raised together, if it could even socialize at all.
It is a duckling that is hatched and raised alone that I was referring to. Ducklings, birds, raised with siblings are not truly imprinted on people as they have each other to imprint on.

[COLOR=FF0000]​It is a duckling that is hatched and raised alone that I was referring to. Ducklings, birds, raised with siblings are not truly imprinted on people as they have each other to imprint on.[/COLOR]

I would say they were imprinted on both. I've raised shipped ducklings and hatched ducklings, and you can see quite a difference. The shipped ones never imprinted in the slightest on people. The hatched ones imprinted on both people and their siblings. You could see the indecision in their little ducky faces when they were older and would follow me out to the duck pen. They wanted to be by me and the other ducks at the same time, which was difficult because the other ducks were skittish. They were so confused lol.

Either way, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that OP makes the best most informed decision on whether to raise a therapy duck or not :)

Ducklings are able to reimprint. It is not the easiest thing and doesn't always work, it's a survival mechanism.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the social aspect of it. Will I be treated different because it's not a dog? I love ducks, I already have a few but they aren't fond of humans or diapers. I'm allergic to almost everything but ducks, and I don't want to cause trouble in businesses and such

Another thing I'm concerned about is the social aspect of it. Will I be treated different because it's not a dog? I love ducks, I already have a few but they aren't fond of humans or diapers. I'm allergic to almost everything but ducks, and I don't want to cause trouble in businesses and such
Will I be treated different because it's not a dog? I am not sure what you mean. Allergies? No matter what kind of pet, someone will be allergic. and I don't want to cause trouble in businesses and such ????? In this day and age where there are so many exotic pets, I doubt that a duck will get more than a passing glance; of course it depends on where you live. At any rate, my advice is to enjoy having a pet; your duck will make a better friend than many people would.

True d
Will I be treated different because it's not a dog? [COLOR=FF0000]I am not sure what you mean.  Allergies?  No matter what kind of pet, someone will be allergic. [/COLOR]and I don't want to cause trouble in businesses and such [COLOR=FF0000]????? In this day and age where there are so many exotic pets, I doubt that a duck will get more than a passing glance; of course it depends on where you live. At any rate, my advice is to enjoy having a pet; your duck will make a better friend than many people would.[/COLOR]
true dat. Thanks. Maybe if people were as good as poultry I wouldn't need one ;)

Back
Top Bottom