what does it mean when a muscovy hisses?

It's not agression, it's expression. It's how they communicate & the boys hiss more than the girls. BUT, hens will hiss if they are brooding and feel threatened by someone/something, but it is because they're scared, not just outright agression.

I think it depends on each persons version of hissing. Boys kinda make a hissing sound just talking but when they are mad it's a louder different hiss I think. I'd think it could be both depending on whos listening LOL

Hissing when they have babies is their warning they don't want you messing with their charges. Letting a mama hatch and raise their ducklings isn't going to let you get as close to them as if you hatched and raised them but What a joy to watch mamas and babes together. Eventually if you really work at it with patience they will eat out of your hand, My Muscovy's were all raised by their mamas all but my drake and they all will eat out of my hand. Start while they are still with mama I find meal worms is the best treat for training. Some use frozen thawed peas too.

When any duck or goose hisses it means "Get the #!$!#@$ out of my FACE!!"
wink.png

Muscovies make a hissing noise, it sounds like someone is trying to talk but has lost their voice...it tickles me...they come running and hissing and come to meet me when they see I have the food scoop... I don't think it's aggression at all. because they don't quack.

Back
Top Bottom