What does/will your 2015 garden look like?

NEChickenNoob

Chirping
5 Years
May 13, 2014
SE Connecticut
I am super stoked about the garden this year. Plans are to grow the garden out by 3x. I have started onions and peppers. My plans this year include the following:
-3 rows 25ft/ea of white corn
-3 rows 25ft/ea of yellow corn
-24 Roma Tomatoes
-10 Slice and Sauce Tomatoes
-6 large pink tomatoes
-2 Green Tomatoes (wife likes em fried)
-20 globe white onions
-40 small italian flat onions
-25 bush beans
-25 half runner beans
-4 Zuccs
-4 Yellow Squash
-8 Cucs
-10 (2 kinds) Sweet Peppers
-8 Hot peppers
-20 Snow Peas
-120 carrots (2 types)
-6 eggplants
-assorted herbs
-18 Broccoli
- Spinach in between where there is room
-4 Pumpkins

It a lofty goal, but I hope I will get them all to flourish. I have a detailed plant for start, hardening and plant dates as well as a detailed layout, soil working plan, soil amendments plan, fertilizing plan, watering plan and I am working on the harvesting schedule now. I still have some work to do on the fertilizing and soil amendments plan after I get a chance to test the soil and get the results back. If all goes well, I will have veggies coming out my ears and I will be able to donate some to some less fortunate people. I know the canner will be running every weekend once things start coming in. Anyone else with lofty gardening goals? I would like to hear about your plans.

Mine isn't quite so planned out. I have primarily raised beds and little space. I will be losing alot to my coop(s) and run. BUT...we will be converting a portion of our front yard so we will be doubling our space. Getting dirt has proven difficult. Those who have it charge a fortune for it. I'm into exotic plants as well as the usual suspects. I'm happy for my banana trees. Also my Dragon Fruit cactus, Israely apple tree, pomegranate tree, Pomelo and goji berry trees.
Beefy tomatoes
bellpeppers
onions
carrots
lettuce
chard
kale
grapes
yellow squash
zucchini squash
cucumbers
Tons of herbs
spinach
and whatever else I can fit lol. Space is limited so creaTivity is a must.

My garden is expanding in 2015, too!

- 2 hills of kabocha squash (8-10 plants)
- 6 tomato plants, heritage slicing type
- 1 row beets (IDK how many seeds; we'll thin them all summer long for both root and leaves, so lots)
- 1 row carrots (but see above about thinning)
- 4-6 heritage bell pepper plants
- 4-6 hot pepper plants, type not yet chosen
- 1 row onions, type not yet chosen
- 1 sprawling area of sunchokes
- 1 experimental potato patch
- 1 experimental onion row, consisting of 1 onion starter set
- 3 garlic cloves that surprise!sprouted last month
- 1 row of bush snap peas, 20-30 plants, to be planted in tomatoes' shade
- 1 row of Swiss chard, 8-10 plants
+ an aging Aerogarden full of herbs and lettuces.

No summer squash this year - we're still eating frozen summer squash from 2013. xD
Last year, some family weirdness meant that in-laws were sharing our garden. This year, it's all us, which means we get to plant everything we want and we don't have to plant anything that isn't interesting. :D

Of course, 2016 is going to be even more exciting as we'll be getting chickens! - but 2015 should be good, too.

Last edited:
Potatoes have got to be my absolute favorite crop to grow. If you have any available ground space, I recommend that you grow them on the ground. They will require far less maintenance there, compared to trying to keep them watered in a container. (Just MO) I plant mine in a shallow trench, 1' apart, with rows 1 - 1.5' apart. Then I mulch them heavily and keep adding mulch as they grow. No weeding, very little maintenance. You can start stealing new spuds as soon as the plants bloom. Reach under the mulch and pull out a few tubers, while leaving the plant to mature the rest of the crop. They're heavy feeders, so fertilize them well.

Good Friday to plant taters. won't even work the ground until then. I started germinating a few thinks this week just to see if the old seeds are still viable. I'm going to put some plants like tomatoes, peppers, and sweet potatoes in breathable bags this year. Grocery store type bags. Kind of like hydroponic gardening outside. Using gallon jugs with a hole in them to supply a constant water supply.

Well, it's decided. Wife wants taters. I'll plant them, but she will take care of them. That's the plan, but she has a black thumb, so I will be working in the background to make sure they do well. Keep the replies coming. I am getting garden fever, and there is 3 feet of snow on the ground.

Ooh, I like the mulch idea for taters! SixSpouse will like the idea of fresh new potatoes all summer, too - SixSpouse /adores/ potatoes.

The ground is half frozen and half bog. I don't get to plant for another couple of months, but... I have itchy fingers! :D I wanna go dig. Tear down the fence and put it up again bigger, start placing rows and getting the hose patterns figured out...

Sadly, I stepped on a nail this weekend while deconstructing the shed that will furnish wood for a future chicken-coop, so I will be digging no holes for a while. *sigh*

Unless I can get time to actually work on something our garden will look the same this year as it did last year.... like nothing.

We do plan to go with an AP system and have already set one tank in the ground and have purchased all the lumber I need to build our first two grow beds. I'm hoping tomorrow that I will be able to finish the grow beds and get the second tank sealed at filled along with running at least one of the pumps so see if things like the waterfall work as planned.

Tomorrow..... tomorrow....

Back
Top Bottom