What dog breeds are good with ducks

Skylar Marie

In the Brooder
May 23, 2019
I’m looking into getting another dog, but I need a breed that won’t hurt or chase my ducks. I know I will have to train my dog no matter which breed I get, to not bother my ducks, but I know that some dogs have higher prey drives than others so I wanted to ask on here first to see the breeds other people might recommend. I’m not necessarily looking for a dog who will be best friends with my ducks, if they are that would be great, but I’m totally fine with a dog that will just ignore them and not be aggressive if one of my ducks pecks at them a bit. I do have another dog as well, a Pekingese, so the dog MUST be friendly to smaller dogs as well. And a plus would be that they’re good around horses because I would love to take them to the barn with me when I go out to ride my horse, but this isn’t necessary.

I’d look at any of the Large Guardian Breed dogs. Great Pyrenees, Anatolian shepherd, maremma, kuvasz. I believe they would be your best bet.

Do plenty of research however as they aren’t exactly people pleasing dogs as far as performing tricks and staying close to you at all times. Very very independent thinkers which is why they make great livestock guards.

I’d look at any of the Large Guardian Breed dogs. Great Pyrenees, Anatolian shepherd, maremma, kuvasz. I believe they would be your best bet.

Do plenty of research however as they aren’t exactly people pleasing dogs as far as performing tricks and staying close to you at all times. Very very independent thinkers which is why they make great livestock guards.

Thank you so much for your reply, that helps a lot!

I’m looking into getting another dog, but I need a breed that won’t hurt or chase my ducks. I know I will have to train my dog no matter which breed I get, to not bother my ducks, but I know that some dogs have higher prey drives than others so I wanted to ask on here first to see the breeds other people might recommend. I’m not necessarily looking for a dog who will be best friends with my ducks, if they are that would be great, but I’m totally fine with a dog that will just ignore them and not be aggressive if one of my ducks pecks at them a bit. I do have another dog as well, a Pekingese, so the dog MUST be friendly to smaller dogs as well. And a plus would be that they’re good around horses because I would love to take them to the barn with me when I go out to ride my horse, but this isn’t necessary.
Any breed that understands the command NO! You can't set any well respected breed out with your birds and not train them. My Chocolate Lab, Staffordshire Terrier, and Heeler would love it if they could chase and kill my chicken. The heeler is the hardest skulled one when she gives them the look she gets a command sent her way. Regardless, our flocks are all safe with them, NOW.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom