What farm animal would you suggest?

First, I'll agree with everyone else that cold hardy chickens are probably your best choice to start out with.

However... llamas would also be a possibility. Around here people often give away llamas or sell them for very cheap ($100-$200). They are very cold hardy (they originate from the Andes Mountains!) as long as you don't shear their fleece. If you do shear them you need to do it in April or early May so their coat can grow back by winter. Llama fleece is becoming higher in demand as people learn how wonderful it is to use for making clothing. If you chose to get llamas for their fleece you want to make sure you get llamas bred for their fleece ... not all llamas produce good quality or even usable fleece.

Fencing doesn't have to be super overkill. Two strands of barbless wire between either T-posts or wood posts is fine as long as you don't get an intact male.

A three sided, roofed shelter would be sufficient although having the fourth side with a door would be the best for them.

Llamas can be used as guard animals for other smaller livestock (specifically goats and sheep) but again you need to get a llama bred for and proven as a protector -- they aren't all that way naturally.

Llamas are being used for packing (people take them on hiking trips, backcountry fishing trips and hunting trips to carry the load) more and more across the country. They've been used for packing animals in other countries for ever. There are many state parks where people are allowed to take a llama that you can't take a horse as llamas do not destroy the landscape like horses do.

Llamas are not expensive to feed. If you have good grass on your five acres and they have access to all of it you would probably only need to supplement them grass hay (never alfalfa as it has too high of protein for them - it can used as a special treat on rare occasions) through the coldest winter months or when they cannot get to the ground because of snow. That maybe often where you live so ... take the feeding into consideration. And that would be if you only had two. I feed mine llama chews when they are expecting and after giving birth to a cria while lactating. Otherwise they only get good pasture grass and grass hay through the winter when necessary.

You should not have just one llama. They are very social so you need to have at least two for company.

If you handle them from the time they are four months old or so they will become very easy to work with. You would be able to put a halter on them and lead them anywhere. They can be taught to jump up into a pickup truck bed to transport them. (It needs to have at least five foot sides on all sides though.) Llamas do not like to be petted and fondled however, so they wouldn't be the animal to have if you just want to cuddle but they will allow you to pet them if raised properly. I have several that will come up and kiss my nose anytime I go out to them.

And, finally, contrary to what everybody thinks. A well raised llama will NEVER spit on you or anyone else! I have been spit on only because I was between a male and female and she didn't like him and was letting him know about it. I just got in the crossfire. Llamas spit at each other to show who's boss.

If you have any llama questions I would love to help you.

Suggested breeds of chicken: Anything with a rosecomb or pea comb: chantecler, dark cornish,wyandotte, silver Hamburg, brahma, RC Rhode island red, etc. The bigger the bird the better they handle the cold. Otherwise its hard on the bird to freeze the comb.

I'd also suggest Geese. They graze like a sheep (but dump like a dog) and are big enough that most predators are reluctant to take them on. Can also be kept with a cheap snow fence instead of something more permanent. They can lay fairly well (Chinese geese) and will raise their own.

As for a shed, It doesn't have to be big or heated but it MUST be windproof. If they get water once per day, they'll drink enough for basic needs. If you want eggs they'll need more water than that so a heated water base is needed. You also need 14 hours of light to get egg production. That means you now need hydro to heat the water base and light with timer.

For a cheap building look into straw bale construction (google it; motherearthnews.com is full of articles on all farm animals and housing them)

Good luck.

Thanks everybody.
smile.png

We raise:

Cows (beef)
Sheep (meat)
Pigs (meat)
Goats (dairy)
Geese (meat)
Chickens (eggs and meat)
Ducks (eggs and meat)

Of them all, I enjoy having the waterfowl and sheep the most. Although I would recommend any of them to you with two acres. There is nothing here I don't enjoy having (except a sore back). The question is really to you. How much work do you want in a day? And what kind of animals can you stand looking at?

With two spare acres also consider you could plant it in raspberry canes and bring in significant money to help pay for your lifestyle. A sole acre of potatoes can yielf over a 2000 lbs easily and if you can sell them for a scant $1 per pound to your friends, you've probably covered your property tax for a year.

You have unlimited options. Some of the most profitable and sucessful farms in the US are getting by on under 5 acres. Tell me more about you.

p.s. We have llamas, too. But, they're really here on a free ride making sure I don't lose a lamb to coyotes (which is $300 revenue lost). I don't particularly enjoy having them, but I don't find them offensive. They eat my own hay, so they cost me nothing. They're certainly a novelty attraction.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've never seen a llama in this part of Ontario (may be different elsewhere in canada, not sure where the original poster is) priced at less than $750 apiece (and that was a fire sale -- literally -- the folks around the corner from us lost their barn and the teen whose snowmobile started the fire was evidently told to get rid of his llamas now that there was nowhere for them to live
wink.png
).

And my cats' vet, who has llamas, apparently feels strongly that they need an Actual Barn for wintertime around here even if unshorn. Andean origins or not. For whatever that's worth. Plus you need somewhere under roof to store your hay; you lose a LOT of quality and quantity if you try to just tarp it up here.

Pat, with no llama experience herself

If you are going to get sheep, get hair sheep something you don't have to shear. barbados,katahden or something like that. I have columbia sheep now but swiching over to hair sheep. A lot easier on me.
smile.png

Since Pat lives in Canada and has people with personal experience with llamas there you should take heed of what she has noted.

I live in Colorado and even though we can have five to eight feet of snow (or 30 feet over a few weeks in parts of the state this year!!) our llamas and our friends llamas have never had any issue with the cold and snow as long as they could get out of the wind.

chickens or maybe a pair of goats. i would recommend young goats that you can train to lead so that you can catch them easily and maybe bring them in and out of the pasture. they will need good fence.

2 acres is (in most places) too small for a cow and cows like companions.

Although I haven't raised any other type of farm animal, chickens are indeed wonderful pets. They're very inexpensive compared to other pets(dogs, cats, fish, etc.) and are very easy to take care of. All you need to give them is shelter against weather and predators(can be anything such as a dog house), food, water, love, and that's pretty much it. They don't require special attention, although spending time with them is very fun and they will love you. Chickens are very lovable creatures!

Also they give you fresh, delicious eggs(far more delicious and nutritious than those bought in the store), usually one egg a day or every other day.

They are very friendly and lovable creatures, although roosters are generally aggressive. They provide you with endless entertainment with their funny movements and odd sounds. When your visitors see them at first they will think of them as dirty and noisy, but eventually they will fall in love with them and the chickens will be the main attraction in the house. When I'm bored I always go to the backyard and watch my chickens foraging in the yard.

They are very fun pets and provides great learning experience, especially when hatching eggs(very interesting and addictive). Chickens are wonderful and you should try it out!

Learn more about chickens here in BackyardChickens.com. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey Pat! I think I should start shipping you lamas then. On this end of the country they give them away regularly.

For a first time farm animal on a limited budget and not extremely demanding of time and energy it is hard to beat a few chickens.

Back
Top Bottom