What gender am I ?

Doesn't look quite like a muscovy mix to me, the shape and the head just don't look it. My Appleyard bobbed a ton, and once he got his adult feathering in he was quite shiny (my friends black runners are also quite shiny) I don't know about sex, but no matter what I wish you and your little duck good luck <3

I LOVE HIMM!!!!! I would say he is a Muscovy hybrid, but I've never actually seen one so I will tag someone who also has Muscovy hopefully she can give a 2nd opinion. Do you think Muscovy hybrid @Miss Lydia ?? I love him he is so adorable with those kinds of sounds and those iridescent feathers I don't think it could be anything else. I have NO CLUE how one would go about sexing a Muscovy hybrid (also known as Mule ducks) because Muscovy and Mallard derived ducks have completely different ways of sexing them.

I feel like I almost hear a slight hiss in his noises. Does he hiss? @Shannlouise

From those noises I am thinking there HAS to be Muscovy influence, some of the huffing noises in the 2nd vid sound pretty Muscovy. Male Muscovy ducks hiss and huff, while females coo and chirp

If I had to guess, I would say you have a beautiful Male Muscovy Hybrid!

Upload a long video if you can!! Just because he is so adorable and I want to see more of him! :love

Last edited:
I feel like I almost hear a slight hiss in his noises. Does he hiss? @Shannlouise

From those noises I am thinking there HAS to be Muscovy influence, some of the huffing noises in the 2nd vid sound pretty Muscovy. Male Muscovy ducks hiss and huff, while females coo and chirp

If I had to guess, I would say you have a beautiful Male Muscovy Hybrid!

Upload a long video if you can!! Just because he is so adorable and I want to see more of him! :love

I can see Muscovy hybrid, and I can also see some sort of CayugaXMallard-derived cross too.

As for the sounds, I am with @SolarDuck that they immediately reminded me of Muscovy noises.

All of my ducks, male, female, Muscovy and mallard-derived bob their heads. The Muscovies bobbed a lot more, but oddly they didn't seem to start doing it until way more mature than the mallard-derived ducks.

As far as I understand it...
Male Muscovy X female mallard-derived = mule duck, or moulard. The females tend to be larger (almost as large, or equally large as the males). These are sterile and will not lay eggs.
Male mallard-derived X female Muscovy = hinny. The males tend to be as large as mule ducks, but the females do not get nearly as large as the males. These are also sterile, but they will lay eggs.

Either way, you have a true beauty!

I wonder what the best companion would be for a Muscovy hybrid.... Muscovy or Mallard-derived?? I'm not quite sure how the language works of the hybrids maybe they can communicate with both. It would definitely be difficult to find another hybrid. Just from the huffy noises hew as making I think maybe a Muscovy drake would be a good companion.. But I would be worried about the Muscovy drake trying to mate him all the time.

I rescued two Muscovy mix from our river and a full on Muscovy drake probably their dad. All 3 drakes I’d say being they are a mix they would probably be okay with either but I’d def get at least 3 females. No other drakes. My Muscovy drakes could not live with each other and it was many years of keeping them separated with their own females to keep the fighting from going on. Again just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom