What gender am I ?

Shannlouise

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2021
This is Chippy, she is 3 months old. I believe she is a Cayuga X Rouen, maybe? I thought she was a female. I’ve had her since a hatching. But I’ve been told that she might be a male because she doesn’t quack (yet) more a whistle & also bobs her head.
What do you guys think, male or female?
Also what breed do you think?
This is my first ever duck & I’m inlove.
Below are photos of her from today & since a day old hatchling.
9A3B1DD1-B1BE-48C6-8BD2-92278B0EB2AA.jpeg

FF6D4712-2ADD-4611-806A-3E2E83FF0FD4.jpeg

920C8120-50BA-434B-AC33-95128A63C8D0.jpeg

Drakes get a bad rap. But honestly I’ve never had a drake I couldn’t live with. It’s so important they learn to respect the person who cares for them and teach them that all their human family are off limits to biting. I have 3 drakes now and they are fine together because only one is Muscovy. Now if I could only get my gander and Muscovy drake to get along. :hmm

I feel like I almost hear a slight hiss in his noises. Does he hiss? @Shannlouise

From those noises I am thinking there HAS to be Muscovy influence, some of the huffing noises in the 2nd vid sound pretty Muscovy. Male Muscovy ducks hiss and huff, while females coo and chirp

If I had to guess, I would say you have a beautiful Male Muscovy Hybrid!

Upload a long video if you can!! Just because he is so adorable and I want to see more of him! :love

I can see Muscovy hybrid, and I can also see some sort of CayugaXMallard-derived cross too.

As for the sounds, I am with @SolarDuck that they immediately reminded me of Muscovy noises.

All of my ducks, male, female, Muscovy and mallard-derived bob their heads. The Muscovies bobbed a lot more, but oddly they didn't seem to start doing it until way more mature than the mallard-derived ducks.

As far as I understand it...
Male Muscovy X female mallard-derived = mule duck, or moulard. The females tend to be larger (almost as large, or equally large as the males). These are sterile and will not lay eggs.
Male mallard-derived X female Muscovy = hinny. The males tend to be as large as mule ducks, but the females do not get nearly as large as the males. These are also sterile, but they will lay eggs.

Either way, you have a true beauty!

Back
Top Bottom