what gender are these 1.5 month old baby chickens [pics]

sandz

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Our favourite chicken decided to go broody.. but all our chickens also decided to stop laying any eggs and havent laid any eggs in months.. so we asked a friend for some eggs who has frizzle chickens and silkie chickens and ended up with these 4 chicks. The one with the comb is a white frizzle, the 2nd from left looks like a silkie and is white with black specks, the 3rd chick from the left looks like a silkie rooster as it is the biggest one and has wattles that are starting to show..[but still acts like a baby as it always end up right under the mother hen who is so little herself [i think she is a bantam with feathers on her feet] Just the last chicken we are unsure of.. it started off all black and now has grown all these white feathers.. with a black head.. it looks like a silkie and most likely a rooster as it i has that red head wattle.

Last edited:
I just want to know how you got such a good head shot?

Mine are the same age and absolutely never stop running around long enough to get a shot like that.

When whoever replies on the sexing - - - (I am too new to guess) - - maybe they can explain the reason for the difference in the combs?

The two on the left seem to have a much narrower comb than the two on the right.

The far right has a wide comb and it is turning pink - - - roo or just normal pinkish for this age and breed?

Well, guessing sex at this age, IMO, is going to be difficult. I also think that there is a possibility that your friend has at least one other breed that was not mentioned. You said a frizzle chicken, do you know what kind of frizzle it is? There is a breed with rosecomb somewhere in the mix I think.

I'm sorry, but they look like a mix of breeds.
sad.png

Quote:
it was about 8pm so they were all sleepy.. thats the only time you can actually catch some good photos as during the day.. you can't even catch them at ALL.. they run like road runner in a pack!

Yea they are a mix of breeds.. i haven't seen the person's chickens who gave us the eggs yet but she said had a frizzle and some silkies. The second one from the left is definitely a girl and the 3rd one a BIG roo. I'll try get some better shots of the black one with a red wattle on its head.

Back
Top Bottom