What Gender is my leghorn

phantomml

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
New Waterford
Hi I have a new baby leghorn from my pullets I raised
wee.gif
I heard you can tell age when they are newborns by their feathers- I couldn't get a real good picture, but to me by the feathers it has two distint rows, one longer than the other, and not tapered like I see the males pictures I see online here, but more rounded at the ends like the female and are definitely two lenghths. I am so excite- I would love to start guessing right!! I got 25 americana pullet chicks from TSC in the spring, and I didn't check, but of the 25 "Pullets" I ended up with 24 surviving and 8 pullets, and 16 roos, so rather than deal with the large scale of roosters I would rather give them away if I can start to tell better!!
caf.gif

Feather Sexing site http://www.hyline.com/redbook/Breeders/Gender_ID.html

My
fist baby from my April Pullets!!
90329_dscn1941.jpg

Her ? wings ?
90329_dscn1944.jpg

It'll be a couple weeks at least until you can tell.
Do you mean feather sexing where the baby chick's wing feathers grow out in different patterns during the first week? I saw that on youtube..I dont think it works. I know some people swear by it, but it's pretty sketchy.

I can generally tell with leghorns but I need both sexes the same age as comparison. At about 3-5 days of age, the leghorn pullets have a tiny tail and the lil roos don't. If there is no comparison, you may have to wait til she lays or crows, which in leghorns, the crow comes early:)
I have even started to sex our Orps when I have both sexes of the same age to compare. But I need the comparison:)

they'reHISchickens :

I can generally tell with leghorns but I need both sexes the same age as comparison. At about 3-5 days of age, the leghorn pullets have a tiny tail and the lil roos don't. If there is no comparison, you may have to wait til she lays or crows, which in leghorns, the crow comes early:)
I have even started to sex our Orps when I have both sexes of the same age to compare. But I need the comparison:)

Oh yuck. If I go by that, the chicks that I suspect of being leghorns are all Roos. That would SUCK...​

Back
Top Bottom