What gender is this beauty?

All chickens will come and peck at the new kid on the block. Usually it's the hens establishing their pecking order. As said previously, a "see-no-touch" barrier in their coop for awhile will help. This may take more than a week or two.

I had a serama pullet that was having a particularly difficult time with my other two seramas hens. My kids had some tv time with the little ones in their laps next to each other. There was some occasional pecking, but the kids were able to keep it in check. It seemed to help.

All chickens will come and peck at the new kid on the block. Usually it's the hens establishing their pecking order. As said previously, a "see-no-touch" barrier in their coop for awhile will help. This may take more than a week or two.

I had a serama pullet that was having a particularly difficult time with my other two seramas hens. My kids had some tv time with the little ones in their laps next to each other. There was some occasional pecking, but the kids were able to keep it in check. It seemed to help.
she has been in the see not touch setup the entire month of January. I put her out of the caged space a few days hoping it would be ok because they don’t mind her at all when she’s in the dog crate I’ve had her in.

She’s been in this exact suggestion for the month of January. The other day I took her out and they ganged up on her. ☹ Should I put her out every day and monitor it?
Well. That's going to happen the first time because pecking order needs to be established first. Let her out but have time to watch. Hopefully your run is big enough? Do you free range at all?

Well. That's going to happen the first time because pecking order needs to be established first. Let her out but have time to watch. Hopefully your run is big enough? Do you free range at all?
They are in a transition enclosure due to horrible flooding. It is a 10x10, 6’ tall repurposed dog kennel completely closed in with Roosting space my husband made and also nesting boxes that they all use. currently there are 13 hens ranging from 40-30 weeks old. All 13 are laying eggs. We get 9-13 eggs every day. Before this “transition coop” they were in a 20x20 that housed 3 prefab houses where they slept in at night but all day they roamed within the coop together. At that time only 4 were laying. In this 10x10 the Wyandotte & a blue Cochin are housed together in a 24” dog crate. They are on top of a pallet thing my husband made. So the other hens roost right next to this crate, walk around n amongst it and don’t mind the 2 inside at all. I haven’t even tried the Cochin! She’s so super tiny. she’s like 1/3 the size of the others. I know for a fact she’s the same age as the Wyandotte cuz I bought them at the same time.
may 2019 is when I bought my first 4 chicks, they’re my oldest. 2 weeks later I got 2 rir chicks, a month later I got 2 EE’s and 2 Plymouth Rock chicks, a month later a leghorn, buff Orpington & Astrolorp chicks. Last was Sept when I got these 2 baby’s. It was not planned this way it just happened LOL! Every time I stepped into the feed store I came home with new baby chicks. So they’ve all been with me their whole lives, each set integrated smoothly. This is my first experience of seeing this harsh pecking n ganging up.

They are in a transition enclosure due to horrible flooding. It is a 10x10, 6’ tall repurposed dog kennel completely closed in with Roosting space my husband made and also nesting boxes that they all use. currently there are 13 hens ranging from 40-30 weeks old. All 13 are laying eggs. We get 9-13 eggs every day. Before this “transition coop” they were in a 20x20 that housed 3 prefab houses where they slept in at night but all day they roamed within the coop together. At that time only 4 were laying. In this 10x10 the Wyandotte & a blue Cochin are housed together in a 24” dog crate. They are on top of a pallet thing my husband made. So the other hens roost right next to this crate, walk around n amongst it and don’t mind the 2 inside at all. I haven’t even tried the Cochin! She’s so super tiny. she’s like 1/3 the size of the others. I know for a fact she’s the same age as the Wyandotte cuz I bought them at the same time.
may 2019 is when I bought my first 4 chicks, they’re my oldest. 2 weeks later I got 2 rir chicks, a month later I got 2 EE’s and 2 Plymouth Rock chicks, a month later a leghorn, buff Orpington & Astrolorp chicks. Last was Sept when I got these 2 baby’s. It was not planned this way it just happened LOL! Every time I stepped into the feed store I came home with new baby chicks. So they’ve all been with me their whole lives, each set integrated smoothly. This is my first experience of seeing this harsh pecking n ganging up.
Well it's possibly a crowding issue too. What breeds are attacking her. It's easier to introduce two at a time than one or just keep those two in a separate pen?

It's easier introducing young Pullets that are not layers to others that are not layers. Once they mature it's a different situation.
Birds are nasty and Red birds are more aggressive to birds of another colour. Maybe you need to rehome the two new birds?

Here are some random pics I found on my phone. As you can prolly tell I’m an unseasoned hen owner. I didn’t expect to dive in this deep but here I am!! now I need to make things better. I have a full blown rescue farm. Along with my hens I have 6 rescued pigs, 2 rescued lambs, 3 rescued miniature goats, 2 turkeys, 2 ducks among a few others. I’ve wondered if space is too small, but when I do the calculations im ok. I try to repurpose as many things as I can with my focus being that the animals, hens included are safe from predators & inclement weather, which is mainly rain n wind in Hawaii winter months and sun & humidity in the summer. I appreciate your advice!!
5B5C46A4-5999-44DE-9EF3-43BEF0771D90.jpeg
762E9942-6945-4D5D-B694-E7F5F6C124C9.jpeg
F392105D-F506-4556-99D0-4BD9D7A0B2F0.jpeg
68FEC919-B757-44C4-B5C3-0618A0BC883B.jpeg
43BA29B1-A6D1-4CD9-B512-493045C522D9.jpeg

It's easier introducing young Pullets that are not layers to others that are not layers. Once they mature it's a different situation.
Birds are nasty and Red birds are more aggressive to birds of another colour. Maybe you need to rehome the two new birds?
OMG I hope not! I hand raised all of them. What a horrible mistake I’ve made if it comes to that.

Here are some random pics I found on my phone. As you can prolly tell I’m an unseasoned hen owner. I didn’t expect to dive in this deep but here I am!! now I need to make things better. I have a full blown rescue farm. Along with my hens I have 6 rescued pigs, 2 rescued lambs, 3 rescued miniature goats, 2 turkeys, 2 ducks among a few others. I’ve wondered if space is too small, but when I do the calculations im ok. I try to repurpose as many things as I can with my focus being that the animals, hens included are safe from predators & inclement weather, which is mainly rain n wind in Hawaii winter months and sun & humidity in the summer. I appreciate your advice!! View attachment 2016778View attachment 2016779View attachment 2016780View attachment 2016781View attachment 2016782
I'd put up more Roosts and introduce as they free range. Beautiful place..👍

Back
Top Bottom