what gender

spoiledgachix

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2015
Georgia
Can anyone tell if this is a hen or rooster? She (or he) is 8 weeks old. This bird is very aggressive and I have been trying to introduce her to some 5 week old chicks and she (he) is so mean and aggressive. She will not leave them alone and circles the rabbit cage I have them in. When I let them all out in the garden she constantly goes after them. My other hen who is the same age of the Black Astro is very sweet (black sexlink) and this bird is very big compared to the sexlink and I also had a Maran and SLW that a friend took and she is also very big compared to them also. I also see her starting to pick on the sexlink and jumped on her back yesterday. For being so young she seems so aggressive. She also pecks at me all the time and it's a hard peck! It's not like she wants to establish a pecking order, it's more like I want to kick you butt. Just may be that she is a bully....?

There is a big size difference between 5 week old chicks and 8 week old chicks. The aggressive behavior is because this is what bigger chickens do to smaller/weaker chickens.

At 8 weeks, with a comb like that, it's a cockerel.

I agree; and if he's already that aggressive, I wouldn't waste time culling him from the flock. There is no good reason to keep a bad rooster. Not only do you not want to risk him injuring someone, but you don't want to breed that kind of aggression into your flock.

Wanted to thank you guys for responding. Also wanted to ask how can you tell if this is for certain a cockerel? Not doubting but I have no idea about how to tell. Is it just the comb? Not that he is aggressive since hens can be also. I just want to make sure he is a he before I make any decisions. I guess I keep hoping this is a hen.....but also want to be certain.

Thanks...

I just want to make sure he is a he before I make any decisions. I guess I keep hoping this is a hen.....but also want to be certain.
It is definitely a cockerel. A pullet would never have a comb that color or size at just 8 weeks old.

Wanted to thank you guys for responding. Also wanted to ask how can you tell if this is for certain a cockerel? Not doubting but I have no idea about how to tell. Is it just the comb? Not that he is aggressive since hens can be also. I just want to make sure he is a he before I make any decisions. I guess I keep hoping this is a hen.....but also want to be certain.

Thanks... even with no aggression I'd still say for sure a cockerel by comb and wattle size

Yes you guys are right.....I took him up to our local feed store and she looked at him and said the same thing. She also asked is I went on "BYC" haha I said as much as I can since everyone is so helpful. Good to know there are people out there that do care for their chickens. I get tired of people saying "they are just chickens".

Thanks again for all your help

Back
Top Bottom