What got my hen? Again..... It's Coyotes??

I was just wondering if with a rooster around he would maybe at least warn us? I dont hear a peep out of my hens and my dog does not even notice
roll.png
Around here we have Bears, Coyotees, Racoon, Possum, Owls, Hawks ( we have 3 that fly around our house ) We do have dogs in our neighborhood that people randomly feed. There is only 1 little puppy (6? months) that does not have a collar or a name. Dogs wonder up to our house and walk right by the chickens, we did had a dog ( tank ) come up yesterday after my hen went missing and just walk around and then walked off.

I had the same problem about a week ago. I do a head count when ever I go out to see the girls. Well I keep coming up 1 short. I could not figure out what was going on. I did not hear a ruckus or anything( They make ALOT of noise if a person,dog ,hawk, anything comes around) so I thought she just wandered off somewhere. Well night time came and still one short. I was like what do I do? Do I leave the gate open incase she comes back. I closed up the coop for the night and thought to myself "Oh well I finally lost one" But I could not let it go so I got a flash light and went looking for any sign of feathers or anything. After about an hour I was about to give up but something made me look in the chimney clean out.( I use a utillity room for my coop) YEA! I see 2 feet and an egg. Mystery solve! but now I have a new problem. How do I get her out? The clean out is way to small so she is going to have to get out the way she got in. It was about 5 ft so I had to come up with some sort of chicken elevator. I took a piece of cardboard put it inside a cloth shopping bag and attached it to a fiberglass rod. I folded it up so it would fit in the cleanout hole. I lifted the chicken with one hand and shoved the bag under her then push her up the chimney until she reached the flue.
So don`t give up maybe they fell in a well or something.

Quote:
Wow, hello neighbor!! I just saw this posting a couple days ago and if we weren't already covered on the rooster front, was going to give them a call. Great find, he's a very handsome fella!!

Hey! He is a handsome fella. I called them yesterday going tomorrow afternoon to get him. The family already picked out a name for him
tongue.png
All I can say is that I hope he is friendly
hmm.png
I could see us ending up with mean rooster we saved from the pound
lol.png

Last edited:
That's awesome, I hope all goes well!! I can only imagine he is going to leap into your arms and beg to be taken home, far, far away from all those barking dogs at the Buncombe County Animal Shelter.
tongue.png

Keep us updated on how it goes and PICTURES!

Thanks
big_smile.png
I will keep you updated and will get some pictures of him. I am going to give him a bath once we get home ( I am in franklin about an hour to a hour and a half away from the shelter ) I just want to make sure there are no mite or any thing on him. Cant wait to see what he looks like all clean!

We had a fox at about 12:30 p.m. looking for snacks and one late in the day. This must be the time of year for them.

Back
Top Bottom