What happened?

Henriettta

Songster
Apr 28, 2021
Coleman, Wi
I bred a brown leghorn to a Barred EE, and the chick came out a light colored wildtype? What happened?
I really didn't expect this? I thought the chicks would exhibit faint barring, or be all yellow?

Pictures of the chick and both parents?
IMG_20210320_115729811_HDR~2.jpg
1621388167071~2.jpg

IMG_20210501_132544338~2.jpg

The mother, being a mixed breed, must have some other genetics hidden under her black. It also looks like she has silver, which she must have given to this chick.
Thank you, I thought that barring was dominant/ a sex linked trait. I was trying to test my hand at it, haha. When this guy hatched I got VERY confused.
Back to the books/drawing table lol

Thank you, I thought that barring was dominant/ a sex linked trait. I was trying to test my hand at it, haha. When this guy hatched I got VERY confused.
Back to the books/drawing table lol
Barring is a dominant sex-linked gene. Any cockerels from your barred hen will be barred. However, it may be hard to tell if some of the chicks are barred. Barring doesn’t only happen on black.

Silver is also sex-linked. Since your hen appears to have the silver gene, and this chick appears to be silver, it’s a cockerel.

Barring is a dominant sex-linked gene. Any cockerels from your barred hen will be barred. However, it may be hard to tell if some of the chicks are barred. Barring doesn’t only happen on black.

Silver is also sex-linked. Since your hen appears to have the silver gene, and this chick appears to be silver, it’s a cockerel.
This may be a difficult question to answer, but how can you tell if she has silver? In real life, she has soft barring and appears nearly identical to a barred rock in pattern. Is silver found appearing as a gray in the white feathers?

IMG_20210519_103949486~2.jpg
IMG_20210519_103954940.jpg

This is her in natural light (it's raining today)

This may be a difficult question to answer, but how can you tell if she has silver? In real life, she has soft barring and appears nearly identical to a barred rock in pattern. Is silver found appearing as a gray in the white feathers?
Silver in chickens is white. Though most of her white is due to the barring gene. However, all chickens are either gold or silver. Hens can only have one silver gene or one gold gene, while roosters can have two gold genes, two silver genes, or one gold and one silver gene. I’m guessing she’s silver because her chick looks silver, and it couldn’t have come from the pure gold father. It does look like she may have some silver leakage around her head, too, and she certainly doesn’t look gold. Also, silver is common in black barred chickens, because pure black barreds are usually silver.

Back
Top Bottom